Now that you have been accepted to the Waiting List, there will be a space of time until a placement is available for you in the program. We have put together suggestions of activities that you can consider while you wait.
- Take a Medical Terminology class or purchase from any bookstore and complete, Medical Terminology Essentials, by A. Ettinger & P. Burch, Paradigm Publishing, Inc.
- Study a test-taking skills book available at most bookstores.
- Test Success: Test-Taking Techniques for Beginning Nursing Students, P. Nugent & B. Vitale, F.A. Davis Company.
- Soar to Success: Do Your Best on Nursing Tests, P. Rollant, Mosby
- Take at least one class per year to maintain your catalog rights (Chapter 5).
- Take a “refresher” math class (such as Math 240) or purchase the textbook used in the nursing program, Calculate with Confidence, D.G. Morris, Mosby
- Complete course work for the Associate Degree Science Degree
- Continue to enroll in college courses that require English, math and/or critical thinking skills such as English 1C, Adulthood & Aging, Nutrition, Human Development
- Complete coursework towards a BSN such as Chemistry 2A and 2B
- Get your eyes examined. You will be doing a lot of reading in this program and looking at small print. Many students discover that they need glasses.
- Develop reliable childcare options and backup alternatives.
- Develop a reliable transportation system. Maybe maintenance or repair on your vehicle as well as alternative transportation for backup.
- Examine your financial situation. This program is expensive in terms of time and money.
- Make an appointment with the Financial Aids office prior to starting the program.
- Put some money away in savings for emergencies.
- Examine time commitments – this program is a full-time job! Most students spend 40 + hours per week between scheduled class time and study time.
- Develop a stress reduction program (fun time, exercise, nutrition, time management). Use the on-campus Student Health & Wellness Services as a resource.
ADN Student Resources