Fire Recovery Resources for Employees

(This page is geared towards our employees affected by the Carr fire.  For student resources please visit


Shasta College Employee Help Fund - This fund is set up to provide direct support to pass donations (non-tax deductible) through to Shasta College employees affected by the Carr fire.  We are tracking many in our Shasta College family who have been affected, and we desire to meet the needs of our friends and colleagues, especially those who have lost their homes.  A small committee is being started to coordinate the distribution of the funds raised to meet the needs of our employees over the coming weeks, especially focused on those who have lost their homes.  Therefore we plan to prioritize use of funds raised to those who have lost their homes.  An initial goal of $50,000 has been set. Please notify Human Resources at or (530) 242-7640 if you are an employee who has lost their home or if your home has been damaged in the Carr fire.  Donations to the Shasta College Employee Help Fund are welcome.  Donations are only accepted online through the following gofundme page:   

CSEA - CSEA, Classified School Employees Association, offers Emergency Relief Assistance to eligible CSEA members whose primary place of residence is uninhabitable as a result of the disaster.  The maximum assistance under the program is $1,000 per applicant.  For more information, please review the flyer and application:  CSEA Emergency Assistance Paper Application and Flyer.pdf
CTA - The CTA, California Teachers Association, provides four different grants for CTA eligible members summarized below.  For more information, please review the flyer and application: 
or visit
• Standard: Up to $1,500 for significant economic hardship related to damage to the member’s primary
residence, displacement, or disruption in required utilities
• Catastrophic: Recipients of the Standard Grant may be eligible for up to another $1,500 if damages exceed
• Temporary Displacement: Up to $500 for members who are displaced from their primary residence as the result of a disaster, but do not meet all the requirements for a Standard Grant
Bethel Church - Bethel Church is offering $1,000 to any Redding resident that lost their home.  For more information and to apply, please visit
United Way - The local chapter of the United Way is currently accepting applications for immediate financial assistance. In the case of total loss of residence, they are providing $1000.00 per household. They are offering $500 for those with damage to their home. The funds they are providing were donated specifically for this local disaster. For more information, please visit or review the application:  United Way Application .pdf


Many generous colleagues have offered space in their homes for the growing number of faculty and staff who have been displaced by the fires. If you have a room or a part of your home that you would be willing to open to one of our displaced employees and their families, please contact Human Resources at or (530) 242-7640. Human Resources staff will work with you to find a suitable match, including number of family members, accepting pets, etc.

North Valley Property Owners Association

To help displaced families find rentals, North Valley Property Owners Association, a coalition of Shasta County property owners and rental management companies, has created 
FEMA Temporary Housing Assistance
FEMA declared Shasta County residents eligible for individual assistance on Saturday, August 4th. Details on the types of assistance available can be found at: Applications for assistance are available here:  Applications for assistance are available here:  It is important that all residents and businesses impacted to register with FEMA at or by calling (800) 621-FEMA (3362).  FEMA provides immediate needs assistance to get survivors into a safe, sanitary and secure environment.  

FEMA's temporary housing assistance program includes:
• Transient Accommodations Reimbursement:
Reimbursement for the cost of short-term lodging such as hotel rooms, due to the damage to your home or an official evacuation announcement.
• Rental Assistance Program:
Provides grants to homeowners and renters to cover the cost of renting another place to live if they cannot or should not live in their homes because of disaster-related damages or other disaster-related reasons.
• Disaster Minimal Home Repair Assistance:
Provides minimal home repair grants to homeowners to make minor but necessary disaster related repairs to their homes.
• Disaster Mortgage and Rental Assistance Program:
Provides mortgage and rental assistance to eligible homeowners and renters who, as a result of the disaster, have lost their job or business and face foreclosure or eviction from their home.
Those needing temporary housing assistance, and who live in Butte, San Bernardino, Shasta or Yuba counties may register by phone by calling the toll-fee registration at: 1-800-462-9029 (TIY 1-800-462-7585}
We have all been impacted by this natural disaster. Many of us have pushed ourselves well beyond our normal limits to support our emergency operations. Proactively managing our mental health, such as taking advantage of counseling, is an important step towards a full and healthy recovery. Please use the support resources available as needed. Be mindful of how you are managing the many stressors we are facing, how your behavior may be impacted, and how your behavior is impacting others.

Onsite Counseling
We have arranged for an onsite counselor to be available Monday – Wednesday from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM for the next three weeks (August 6, 7, 8; 13, 14, 15; and 20, 21, 22) for all employees to utilize as needed as we begin to recover from the impact of the Carr fire. This service is free and confidential.  The counselor, Tony Mills, is available as needed without an appointment. Any employee who wishes to speak with Tony may stop by at any time between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Tony will do individual and group discussions as requested. While the primary intent is to provide counseling for concerns related to the fire, you are welcome to talk about other concerns you may have.

August 6, 7, 8,  10:00 am to 2:00 pm, Shasta College Board Room, 100 Building
August 13 & 14, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, Shasta College Board Room, 100 Building
August 15, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, Shasta College Room 822
August 20, 21, 22, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, Shasta College Fireside Room, Library

One on One Counseling Services
The employee assistance program offers free one on one counseling sessions with providers in our area as well as telephonic support.  Please call 800-999-7222 or visit and enter SISC to take advantage of these free and confidential services.  EAP Carr Fire Flyer.pdf 

Other Employee Assistance Program Services
If you’ve been affected by the Carr fire and could use some guidance or support, contact the Employee Assistance Program. EAP Carr Fire Flyer.pdf 

The EAP can set you up with:

  • Telephonic support and counseling services.
  • Updates and important resource information on the
  • Relocation and housing options.
  • A library of grief, loss and coping articles.
  • Self-help tools.

Remember, your EAP also has a wide range of other resources for:

  • Planning a move.
  • Handling legal and financial matters.
  • Finding child, elder and pet care.

EAP services are confidential, so no one will know if you contact the program unless you give written permission.

Legal Services of California

A legal hotline is now available for people impacted by the Carr Fire in Shasta County, California (additional counties may be added).
Disaster survivors facing legal issues related to the fires and who are unable to afford a lawyer may call the hotline at 1-800-822-9687. The hotline hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday. Callers may also leave a message or visit the Carr Fire Disaster Relief Center, seven days a week, from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm, at 2685 Hilltop Drive in Redding, CA (formerly Kmart) or Legal Services of Northern California’s office in Redding at 1370 West Street.


Jonah Lamb                                                                 Dan Wade
State Bar of California                                                 ABA YLD DLS Director
(415) 538-2283                                                            (619) 820-2089                                   

Abre’ Conner                                                              Lauren Sanchez
ABA YLD Northern California Representative            Legal Services of Northern California
(559) 554-2994                                                           (530) 241-3565 x4077                                          

Legal assistance available includes:
• Replacement of identification documents other important destroyed legal documents;
• Assistance with life, medical, and property insurance claims;
• Help with home repair contracts and contractors;
• Assisting in consumer protection matters, remedies, and procedures;
• Counseling on mortgage-foreclosure problems;
• Counseling on landlord-tenant problems; and
• Assistance with securing FEMA and other government benefits available to disaster survivors.

In addition, there is information available at: – This statewide website, hosted by the Legal Aid Association of California, provides information about common legal issues in addition to disaster relief information. It also has an updated directory of pre-screened organizations that offer free or low-cost legal advice and representation. – A collaborative effort of Lone Star Legal Aid, the ABA, the Legal Services Corporation, the National Legal Aid and Defender Association, the Texas Legal Services Center, and Pro Bono Net, Disaster Legal Aid provides disaster legal information to the low and moderate income public. – United Policyholders (UP) is a national nonprofit 501(c)(3) consumer advocacy group that specializes in helping disaster survivors with insurance claim issues. UP also trains case managers and legal aid lawyers to assist clients with insurance and disaster recovery matters.

State Bar of California website  – Resources for legal help after a disaster including how to replace documents after a disaster.

This site provided by Shasta County and the City of Redding is a resource for all things concerning these unprecedented disasters that have affected our community. Topic areas currently included address supplies and shelter, financial assistance, and debris removal. Additional resources will be added as they become available. Carr Fire Recovery Webpage: 

CARR FIRE Pet Rescue & Reunification
​This group assists those who have lost pets, found pets and next steps including fostering affected pets. For more information, please visit the group's public page:

Enterprise Lions Club The Enterprise Lions Club has food, cleaning supplies, water, etc. for fire victims. Families are encouraged to stop by the Lions District 4-C1 Disaster Fire Relief Distribution Center. at 110 Hartnell Ave Suite 60 in Redding, CA.  For more information, please visit

SBA Office of Disaster Assistance
The SBA Office of Disaster Assistance is the primary source of recovery money for businesses of all sizes, private nonprofits, homeowners and renters who are uninsured/underinsured after a disaster.  Also, more than 80% of loans are made to homeowners and renters, which not a lot of people realize, since our name is ”SBA.”   
The next step is to apply for SBA programs or for more information, please visit 

The following brochures provide additional recommendations and community information to help you manage your needs and support your friends and family:

Additional Helpful Resource Pages:

During an emergency, all employees can be activated as disaster service workers. Certain categories of employees may be needed to deal with essential operations. If you are unclear whether your service is needed, please contact your supervisor.