1.       How do I get started?
5.       Is childcare available?
5.       How do I add a class?
Cost/Financial Aid
No, anyone who is at least 18 years old may attend Shasta College, regardless of previous education level, although some financial aid programs require a high school diploma or its equivalent.   If you are less than 18 years old, you must have a high school diploma, or its equivalent, to attend Shasta College as a regular student, but you may be able take a limited number of classes through concurrent or dual enrollment options with your high school.  Check with your high school for more details.
During fall and spring semesters, a minimum of 12 units is required to be a full-time student.   There is no standard definition for a full-time student during the summer term; however enrolling in 4-6 units represents an equivalent workload.
You can locate your student ID number by logging into MyShasta (if you do not know how to log into MyShasta, click here).  Select “MyShasta for Students” and then “Unofficial Transcript” (under Academic Profile) on the following screen.  Select “Submit” on the next screen.  Your Student ID number is the 7-digit number that appears in front of your name on the Unofficial Transcript screen.
Yes, there are several childcare options on the main campus:  
You can wait and take the class a different semester, you can enroll in a different section of the class if one is available, or you can add your name to the waitlist for the class.  Adding your name to the waitlist does not guarantee you a spot in the class.  Students from the waitlist are added to a class on a first-come, first-served basis when a vacancy becomes available.  If you have not been offered a spot in the class by the day the class begins, you should attend the first class meeting.  The instructor will let you know at that time whether or not you can enroll in the class.  If your enrollment is approved, the instructor will have to sign a registration form for you.  You must then submit the form to the Admissions and Records office prior to the registration deadline. 
Do not rely on your instructor to drop you from a class, even if you have stopped attending the class. 
Log in to MyShasta and select “Register and Drop Sections.”   You do not need permission from your instructor to drop a class; however, as a courtesy you may want to let your instructor know.
There are two different dates for full-semester length classes.  The first is a few weeks after the semester begins.  If you drop a class by the first date, there will be no record of it on your college transcript.  The final drop date is about a month before the semester ends.  You can find the exact dates on the Important Dates webpage.  Short-term classes have varying deadlines.  For drop dates of short-term classes, please check with the Admissions and Records office.
If a class is full or if a class has met more than once, you must get permission from the instructor.  The instructor will have to sign a registration form for the class, and you must submit the signed registration form to the Admissions and Records office by the appropriate deadline.   If you are trying to add an online class, you need to email the instructor for permission, and if permission is granted, print the instructor’s email and submit it with your registration form to the Admissions and Records office by the appropriate deadline.
See the Important Dates webpage for the deadline to add full-semester length classes.  The deadline for short-term classes varies.  You will have to contact the Admissions and Records office for the deadline to add short-term classes.
There are state and federal grant programs, which provide you with reduced tuition and/or money for attending college that does not need to be repaid.  There are also scholarships, which do not need to be repaid.   Loans are available as well, but loans require repayment.  For complete information, please see the Financial Aid website.  Be sure to apply for financial aid early to qualify for as much aid as possible.  The priority date for submitting the FAFSA application (for federal financial aid programs) is March 2nd prior to the following academic year.
It depends on the financial aid program.  For the BOG fee waiver there is no minimum.  The amount of your PELL grant will be based on the number of units you take each semester.   Twelve (12) units are required for the maximum award.
The cost of books varies, but they can be fairly pricey.  To minimize the expense, consider buying used books or renting your textbooks.   You might want to compare the cost of the books at the college bookstore with the cost of buying or renting your books online, especially if there is time to order them before classes begin.  The Shasta College Student Senate has a free lending library, and the Financial Aid office offers a special grant program to help with the purchase or rental of books.  Also, some instructors put textbooks on reserve in the library.  Although they cannot be checked out, they may be used there.
Probation means you are not meeting the standards set by the college.  To be in good standing, students must maintain a 2.0 (“C”) average overall and complete more than half of the units that appear on their transcript.  Students who continue on probation may end up losing financial aid eligibility and/or registration priority, and ultimately they may be dismissed from the college.  Probation can also affect a student’s eligibility for living in the dorms and for participation in intercollegiate athletics. It is important to note that financial aid probation is defined differently and follows different rules.  Please check with the financial aid office for those policies.
You may take a maximum of 13 units.  However, based on a person’s individual circumstances, students are often advised to take fewer units than the maximum allowed. 
You will get off of probation when your transcript reflects that you meet the standards of the college:  a minimum of a 2.0 (“C”) grade point average with more than half of the total number of units you’ve attempted completed.   Repeating classes you did not pass will raise your g.p.a. faster than taking new classes, as the prior grade for the class will not count in the calculation of your grade point average.