Foster & Kinship Care Education Program
connections • support • learning
caregivers to meet the emotional, behavioral and developmental needs
These classes are designed for Foster and Kinship care providers to bridge the gap between questions and answers, and to develop the specialized parenting skills needed to care for abused and neglected children.
For more information contact
Sheri Wiggins, FKCE Program Director
339-3611 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shasta College - Downtown Campus
1400 Market Street, Room 8116
Redding, CA 96001
Whether you are new to foster parenting or are an experienced veteran, Foster Care Education provides FREE classes to enhance your parenting skills and increase your understanding of foster youth. Training topics include:
• Preparing Foster and Adoptive families to care for children in the Child Welfare System
• Understanding the issues related to Reunification, Permanency Planning and Emancipation
• Preparing Foster and Adoptive families to care for children exposed to drugs and alcohol
• Addressing the special needs of children in the Child Welfare System
• Working with the Child Welfare System, birth families and the Courts
• Understanding the effects of abuse, neglect and trauma in children
• Understanding the experience of loss and grief in children
• Knowing community resources and how to access them
Are you a grandparent, aunt/uncle, sibling, or other family member or close family friend caring for children? You are not alone! Relatives care for over one million California children. To give a child a home is an important and personal decision. Many questions and emotions may arise:
• Can I afford another dependent?
• How do I deal with the trauma, abuse or neglect the child has experienced?
• How do I deal with the child's parents now that I have custody of the child?
• How will caring for the child(ren) change my family dynamics?
• How do I deal with my feelings of guilt and loss?
• What community or legal resources exist?
• Should I pursue guardianship or adoption?
Kinship Care Education provides FREE classes to help answer these questions, enhance your parenting skills and increase your understanding of the child(ren) in you care.