The Shasta College Financial Aid Office is an experimental site for the U.S. Department of Education.
By applying for a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, you may be selected as a candidate to participate in the initiative.
If selected additional commitments of participation will be required.
Declining to borrow an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan will release you from all obligations regarding this participatory experimental site initiative.
Important Information for the following Programs:
ADN and Dental Hygiene Information
For members of the U.S Armed Forces:
What you need to know about loans
Financial Aid Default Management Plan:
As part of the Shasta College default management plan, students with a prior history of loan discharge or default are automatically denied a loan.
However, a new determination by the Director of Financial Aid may be requested. Eligibility will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Click here to print a
Direct Loan Denial Appeal Request
Check out these lnformational links:
Top 10 Things to Do
Before you GO
Frequently Asked Questions Links:
Am I Eligible for a Direct Student Loan?
Are there fees associated with Direct Loans?
What is the interest rate for this loan?
How are Direct Student Loans disbursed?
What if I have other student loans?
What if I have a Bachelors (BA) and returning to Shasta College?
Shasta College does not certify private loans
As of July 1, 2013 first-time borrowers are subjected to time limitation eligibility and loss of interest subsidy on Direct Subsidized Loans and will be required to complete and pass an additional Entrance Exam.
Click Limits for First Time Borrowers for more information
2010 Cohort Default Rate for Shasta College is 18% of the number of students that borrow against the national comparison.
National Default Rate cannot exceed 30%
Students who are citizens of the Freely Associated States-the Federated States of Micronesia, the republics of Palau and the Marshall islands are not eligible for federal student loans, but are eligible for Pell Grants. Citizens of Palau are also eligible for FWS and FSEOG.
|Click the following link for the printable:
Student Loan Borrowers Checklist
Print and submit the
Federal Direct Loan Request Form.
A dollar amount must be specified,
click Loan Limits for information
Print and submit the
Loan Applicant Borrowers Worksheet
Submit a copy of your
completed Educational Plan.
All prior college units must be evaluated.
Print and submit a new confirmation page each year
for Shasta College. Complete the Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling at www.studentloans.gov
Sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN) Electronically with the Department Education at www.studentloans.gov.
This must be completed each year that you apply for a loan at Shasta College.
Electronic confirmation must be received by the College before a loan will be processed.
Deliver all loan forms in person with a valid driver’s license or state issued picture ID.
For Security Purposes a copy of your ID
will be made by Shasta College and
maintained with your loan documents.
Complete Exit Counseling:
Every year loan recipients must complete exit counseling upon graduating, transferring, withdrawing or at the end of the semester.
Log into: www.studentloans.gov
- Complete Exit Counseling and print the page that provides proof that it is completed
- Failure to submit Exit Counseling could delay future funding
- Shasta College must be selected as the college to receive your Exit Counseling Electronically. Shasta College will send a confirmation email upon receipt of your Electronic Exit Counseling, keep your email address current.
Submitting Your Loan Forms:
- Submit in person to the Financial Aid Office Building 100, Room 108 or to one of the following campuses; Tehama, Trinity, or Inter-mountain, all loan documents.
- Do Not Mail, Fax, Use the Drop box or send your loan documents with another person they will NOT be accepted
- Incomplete loan documents or altered forms will not be accepted.
Status of Submitted Loan Forms:
- Your loan cannot be certified until your financial aid file has been reviewed.
- "Processed" must be indicated on all documents through the "My Documents" screen.
- View the certified loan amounts on your Financial Aid Award Letter.
- An Award Letter with the loan disbursement dates will be mailed to you via the U.S Postal Service.
The Financial Aid Office will communicate with you using your "My Documents Screen" through the "My Shasta".
Fall 2014 Loan Application DEADLINE: October 24, 2014
Federal Student Loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options, including but not limited to, income-based repayment and income contingent repayment plans, and loan forgiveness benefits which other student loans are not required to do. Federal loans are available to students regardless of income for more information go to: www.studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans
Attention: SallieMae Borrowers click here
|The Shasta College Financial Aid Office does not discriminate against any borrower or applicant in obtaining a loan on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, or disability status.