Welcome High School Seniors!!

​Planning for your education is an important step to your success. We look forward to helping you with your educational endeavors. This webpage will help you navigate the financial aid process during your Senior year in High School. We encourage you to complete the steps below and read through all the other financial aid webpages.

We wish you a great first year of college!!

​Step 1: Apply for Admission to Shasta College​
Submit your application for admission to Shasta College.
It is important for students to declare their educational goal and stay on track from start to finish. It is highly recommended that students meet with a counselor to discuss education/career goals as soon as possible.

​Step 2: Login to your MyShasta account​
Login to your MyShasta account, you will need access to this later to view your Financial Aid awards, register for courses etc.

​Step 3: Apply for the California College Promise Grant (CCPG)​
Complete the online California College Promise Grant Application at least 3 days before registering for classes.

​Step 4: Submit your FAFSA Application​

Beginning October 1st complete the FAFSA found at: www.fafsa.gov
Shasta College School Code:  001289 

Submit the 2019-20 FAFSA for Summer-19, Fall-19, Spring-20
Submit the 2020-21 FAFSA for Summer-20, Fall-20, Spring-21

​Step 5: Apply for Scholarships​
 Apply for Shasta College Scholarships for Seniors; available in January on our Sc​holarships webpage.

​Step 6: High School Transcripts​
Submit your official high school transcripts to Admissions and Records as soon as possible. Contact your high school for an Official Transcript Request

​​Step 7: Submit any verification documents to the Financial Aid Office

Beginning in March or April, your FAFSA information will be posted to your "MyShasta" account within 2 weeks of submitting your FAFSA. Check your "My Financial Aid" though "MyShasta" for required forms needed to process your eligibility.

The Financial Aid Office will send the student an email notifying the student of next steps once the students FAFSA is received AND the Office has started processing that academic year's FAFSA's.

​Step 8: Award Letter Notification​
Once your FAFSA has been verified and processed, you will receive an email notification letting you know your Award Letter is ready to view through your "My Financial Aid" Account. Your award letter is based on full time enrollment, anything less will be prorated.

​Step 9: Receive a BankMobile Refund Selection Kit​

High School students will receive their BankMobile Disbursement selection kit by mail AND email when we have a FAFSA on file AND you have registered for classes.

Visit BankMobile Disbursements for more information.

​Step 10: Register for classes​
It is highly recommended for all students to register for their classes as soon as possible to ensure you can get the classes you need to stay on track with your educational goal.

​Step 11: Check the Disbursement Schedule​​
Check the disbursement schedule to see when the first possible disbursement will be for the semester your enroll. Remember that you must have an award listed on your award letter and be enrolled in active classes to receive any funds. The disbursement schedule can be found at: www.shastacollege.edu/fa_disbursements 


Tips for a Seamless Financial Aid Process: 

  1. Submit all  information  (social security number, date of birth, legal name, educational goal, etc...) accurately and completely on your Shasta College Application, FAFSA, CCPG Application and Scholarship Application. Discrepancies are the leading cause to Financial Aid processing delays.

  2. College students must have a government issued photo ID such as a driver's license, state photo ID, passport or military photo ID.

  3. Plan ahead and budget based on your financial situation. The Shasta College Financial Aid Cost of Attendance is a general COA and is not the case for every student. Financial Aid is designed to help offset educational expenses and will not cover all living expenses while in school. Visit our financial literacy page for budgeting resources: www.shastacollege.edu/fa_finlit

  4. Parents, it is OKAY to help your child through our process however we will need your Childs'​ permission to release any personal identifiable information to you due to FERPA laws. 

  5. Complete all classes you attempt and stay on top of your academic progress and SAP status. If you do not complete all classes attempted you may become ineligible to receive Financial Aid. Read more on our SAP policy at: Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.pdf

  6. Basic to financial aid eligibility is the family as the main resource for postsecondary education. Students who have guardians, are foster youth, or wards of court should review the FAFSA definitions in completing the application. A parent's unwillingness to provide information on the FAFSA is not sufficient reason to provide only the student's information; if you have circumstances that you feel warrant additional consideration, please request a dependency review at: www.shastacollege.edu/fa_forms20

  7. It is the students responsibility to stay informed of deadlines and other important information. Check the financial aid webpage regularly for important announcements. Read ALL the financial aid menu items to understand the financial aid process and eligibility guidelines.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  1. Why am I considered a dependent even though I do not live with or receive financial support from my parents? The federal criterion for being an independent student does not take into consideration where a student lives or whether or not they provide their own support. Refer to "Section 2 -Student Dependency Status" on the FAFSA.

  2. If I am an emancipated minor or in a legal guardianship, am I considered an independent student? Yes. You will be required to provide documentation to the Financial Aid Office.

  3. Why do you need my prior transcripts? All prior Official College /University and Final High School Transcripts with the Graduation date should be on file with Admissions and Records when you apply for admittance. If they are not on file with Admissions and Records we must have ALL Transcripts from ALL Colleges or Universities you have attended no matter how long ago to complete the process of your financial aid file.