Professional Judgment Appeals                                                       ​​​​


Independent Student Status Request​​​

The Free Application for Federal Stud​ent Aid (FAFSA) and the California Dream Act (CDA) both calculate each family's ability to pay for college. The formula is designed to create a "level playing field" for all families in order to provide maximum funds to the neediest families. Part of the FAFSA application is determining if a student is considered an independent or dependent student. For more information on these definitions please click here. The Financial Aid Office recognizes that each student is unique. If you feel as though you have an unusual circumstance preventing you from providing your parent information on the FAFSA or CDA, please continue reading. 

The types of circumstances listed below, singly, or in combination, ​DO NOT QUALIFY AS UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES

  • Your parents refuse to contribute to the your education
  • Your parents are unwilling to provide information on your FAFSA or CDA or for verification
  • Your parents do not claim you as a dependent for income tax purposes
  • You demonstrate total self-sufficiency
The types of circumstances listed below are EXAMPLES OF UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES THAT MAY QUALIFY for a review of your Dependency status:

  • Your parent is in prison
  • Your parent is hospitalized
  • You have an estranged family situation
  • Your parents live out of the country and you are unable to maintain reasonable contact with them

If your family situation involves an unusual circumstance such as those described above and documentation is provided, you may request a review of your d
ependency status. Please complete and submit the appropriate form below, along with any additional paperwork. 

Unaccompanied Homeless You​th

A student still enrolled in high school, not living in the physical custody of a parent or guardian, is not living in fixed, regular, or adequate housing as of the date the FAFSA is signed should not complete a Independent Student Status Request form; instead request a letter of verification of unaccompanied homeless youth from one of the following agencies and then submit a copy to the Shasta College Financial Aid Office for review:

  • Shasta Union High School District Homeless Liaison, Michael O'Leary 
  • Tehama County Department of Education Homeless Liaison, Jo Kee 
  • Good News Rescue Mission, Pastor Dave Honey 241-5754
  • Anderson Union High School Homeless Liaison, Brant Schriner 365-6054 x 1011
  • Shasta County Office of Education Homeless Liaison, Marie Hyres 225-5390

  • Glenn County Department of Education Homeless Liaison, Robin Smith 934-6575 x 3176

Unusual Financial Circumstances Appeal

Complete the appropriate form, found below, if you or your parent have experienced an extenuating circumstances that affects household resources such as loss of employment, illness, injury, etc. If approved through a professional judgment process, this will allow the Shasta College Financial Aid office to make changes to your FAFSA and reprocess your financial aid based on the new submitted information.