8/19/14 - Chafee Funding
Chafee checks are generally disbursed within the first three
weeks of the semester. You will be
notified by phone and email if and when your Chafee check is available for pick
up. You must show Government Issued Picture ID (Driver's License, Passport or other State Issued ID) when you pick up the check.
What is a California Chafee Grant?
The California Chafee Grant is free money for current or former California foster youth to help pay for college or career and technical training. Chafee Grants don't have to be paid back. You may also use your grant to pay for child care, rent and transportation while you're in school. A Chafee Grant is a federal and state funded grant subject to yearly availability of funds.
How do I qualify?
To qualify, you must:
- Be a current or former foster youth*
- Not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year
- Have financial need
*To qualify, foster youth dependency of the court must have been established between the ages of 16 and 18. KinGap youth who are or were eligible to receive Independent Living Program services, guardian placements and voluntary placements may not be eligible for the California Chafee Grant unless court dependency was established between the ages of 16 and 18.
How do I apply?
You must submit the following forms*:
- California Chafee Grant Program Application
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Shasta College Foster Youth Liaison will submit the Chafee Needs Analysis Report (NAR).*
*Note: Forms are year-specific. Be sure to complete the applications that correspond with the academic year you will be attending school.
What is required to receive your Chafee funds?
- Enroll in an eligible public or private college or university or technical school
- Be enrolled at least half-time
- Enroll in a program at least one academic year long
- Attend class regularly and get good grades or you may lose your Chafee Grant funds
How do I renew my Chafee Grant?
If you receive a Chafee Grant, it may be renewed through your 23rd birthday. You do not need to reapply for your Chafee Grant each year; however, you must submit a FAFSA and then contact the Foster Youth Liaison regarding additional paperwork.
The Commission may contact you for updated information. Be sure to respond to e-mails, letters or forms that you may receive.