Financial Aid Overview

(530) 242-7700
​​You must have an Admissions Application on file including your social security number. 

Click here for: Info graphics: Images explaining financial aid concepts in a visual way

​The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid):

This is the application for all state and federal grant funds. It is available January 1st of each year for the next academic year.  A link to the FAFSA application is available on our Financial Aid Homepage. 

Our federal school code is 001289  

Common Mistakes   How to Correct The Information  
Listing marital status incorrectly      Enter the marital status as of the date you signed the FAFSA 
Student not included in number in college Always count yourself and others (except parents) attending college at least half-time and in a program leading to a degree/certificate
Have not registered with Selective Service Males must register with Selective Service
College(s) were not listed Review the schools listed on your summary page and make any appropriate changes
Forgetting to sign and date the FAFSA  Be sure you have create your FSA ID to electronically sign the FAFSA or print, sign, and mail a signature page to FAFSA
  This information courtesy of CASH FOR COLLEGE  

The SAR (Student Aid Report):
After your FAFSA has been processed you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), the information you entered on the FAFSA. You do not need to submit your SAR to the Financial Aid Office because Shasta College typically downloads SAR results weekly. See our Financial Aid Homepage for the next download date.

Processing of Financial Aid:
The FAFSA is the first step to completing the financial aid process. To learn about being processed for financial aid at Shasta College access "How to Complete My File" using the Financial Aid menu.

 Estimated Processing ​Timeframes
Timeframes vary dependent​ on the number of files received​ ​
March 1 - April 30 ​2 to 3 weeks
​May 1 - June 30 ​3 to 5 weeks
​July 1 - October 30 ​6 to 8 weeks
November 1 - December 31 ​3 to 5 weeks
​January 1 - February 28 ​2 to 4 weeks
​January 1st the NEW​ ​FAFSA is available, APPLY for the next academic year!​


What happens after forms are submitted?
We determine eligibility for grant funds when all requested forms have been received. Check My Shasta frequently; if follow-up is needed, a comment requesting further documentation will be placed in "My Forms -START HERE".

Proof of Graduation:
High School and Home School students must turn in a copy of your High School Diploma or final High School transcript with the graduation date posted. Students with a GED or High School Proficiency must submit a copy for the financial aid file. If these documents are not on file with Admissions and Records we will request a copy and this will delay processing.  
Note: Students that do not have one of the documents listed above will not be eligible for financial aid funding.  For questions regarding this requirement please feel free to email our office.

Selective Service System
Almost all male US citizens who are 18 through 25 years of age are required to register with Selective Service.  Male students 18 or older must be registered as one of the requirements to qualify for federal financial aid. A link to the Selective Service System is available on our Financial Aid Homepage.

Institutional Policy:
Students selected for Verification have 30 days to provide requested documents to the Financial Aid Office to be processed for ALL grants the student may be eligible to receive. After 30 days the Federal Policy listed below is in effect.

Federal Policy:
All documents must be received as well as a valid FAFSA while the student is enrolled, however students selected for verification must submit all documentation within 120 days of the students last day of attendance to be processed for the Pell grant funding ONLY.  After that date the student loses any eligibility of aid for that academic year.

Financial Aid Determination:
Once you recieve an email stating you have been processed and eligibility has been determined. You may view your Financial Aid Award letter available through My Shasta. The Award Letter will indicate what types of grant funding you are eligible to receive, such as FPELL, FSEOG, FCWS*, BOGFW and Cal-Grant. 
*FCWS Students offered FCWS will receive a follow-up notice by mail. 

Student Loans:
Borrowing loan funds for your education has additional requirements. Access the Student Loans webpage using the Financial Aid menu.

Financial Aid Disbursements:
Disbursements are made through your Higher One Shasta College debit card. Adding or dropping units will affect your disbursements. The Disbursement Schedule may be accessed using the Financial Aid menu.
Note: Money owed to Shasta College will be deducted before funds are uploaded to your Higher One account. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I qualify for federal financial aid? 
You must meet general eligibility criteria:  

  • You must have a valid Social Security Number.
  • You must be enrolled in a federally recognized program of study leading to a degree or certificate.
  • You must have a high school diploma, GED, high school proficiency or ATB
    Certification completed by an academic counselor.
  • You must be a U.S. Citizen, a permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen.
  • Male students over the age of 18 must be registered with Selective Service.
  • You must not be in default on a prior student loan or owe a repayment on federal grants.
  • You must be maintaining SAP (satisfactory academic progress) in your degree or certificate program. 
What Types of Aid Are Available?
Shasta College participates in the programs listed below: 
  • Board of Governor's Fee Waiver Program (BOGFW)
    The BOGFW is offered by the California Community Colleges for California residents who qualify. The BOGFW waives the per unit enrollment fee.  Students are responsible for paying the Campus Center Fee, Health Fee, and any applicable Material Fees.
  • Federal Pell Grant Program (FPELL)
    The FPELL Grant program is the largest federal grant program for an undergraduate college student. Awards are based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and enrollment status. FPELL grants range from $0 to $5730/per academic year.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
    The FSEOG program is for students who qualify for the maximum FPELL Grant. Funding is limited for this program and awarding is done on a first-come first-served basis. The FSEOG is $1,200 per academic year. You must be enrolled full-time (12 or more units) to recieve this grant payment.
  • Federal College Work Study (FCWS)
    The federal college work study program provides temporary part-time jobs at 10 hours per week to eligible students. You must indicate you are "interested in being considered for work-study" on your FAFSA. Award amounts are based on unmet need calculated by the FAFSA. The actual amount earned depends on the number of hours worked and the current wage rate. Note: Funding is limited; therefore awards are done on a first-come first-serve basis. Complete the FAFSA early!  You must be enrolled in at least 6 academic units to participate in the Work-Study program.
  • Cal-Grant Program
    Cal-Grant awards are administered and awarded by the California Student Aid Commission to help pay for college expenses. A link to the Cal-grant webpage is available on the Financial Aid Homepage. Award payments are adjusted per your enrollment. You must be enrolled in at least 6 units to receive​ payments.
  • Chafee Grant Program for Foster Youth
    The California Chafee Grant Program gives money to eligible current or former foster youth to use for career and technical training or college courses.
    To qualify, you must:  
    Be eligible, or have been eligible, for Independent Living Program (ILP) services between your 16th and 19th birthdays and have not reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year.
    To apply you must file two applications the FAFSA and the California Chafee Grant Program Application. Links to both of these applications are available on the Financial Aid Homepage. 
  • Federal Direct Loan Program
    Federal Direct Loan Program (Subsidized Stafford and Unsubsidized Stafford) offers loans through the federal government. You must be enrolled in at least 6 units to receive a loan payment. Visit our Student Loans webpage for complete information on applying. 
Students who are citizens of the Freely Associated States-the Federated States of Micronesia  and the Republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands are eligible for Pell Grants (citizens of Palau are also eligible for FWS and FSEOG), but are not eligible for federal student loans.​

Why do I need to use last year’s income on my FAFSA?
Because actual income information from the previous year is more accurate and verifiable than estimating income for the current year and fairly measures a family's ability to pay for college the next year.

Why am I considered a dependent even though I do not live with or receive financial support from my parents?
The federal criteria for being an independent student does not take into consideration where a student lives or whether or not they provide their own support. Refer to "Section 2 -Student Dependency Status" on the FAFSA. 
​How should I fill out the FAFSA if I have not yet filed my Federal Tax Return?
Ideally, you should complete a FAFSA after you've done your tax return. If your tax return is not done estimate as accurately as possible the prior year's income and taxes paid using your W-2s 1099’s or pay stubs. As soon as you have completed your Federal Tax return, log into your FAFSA and make any necessary corrections to your SAR. It is recommended that after completing your taxes to select the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) for efficient processing. It is important that you do not make any changes to your FAFSA once you have selected to use the DRT.  
I'm getting married next month. How do I answer the question that asks if I am married?
Answer according to your marital status the day you sign the FAFSA. Answer "Yes" if you are married on the day you sign the FAFSA; otherwise, answer "No". 
My parents are separated but they filed a joint tax return and claimed me as an exemption. Do I report both their incomes?
No, report only the income and assets of the parent whom you lived with most during the past 12 months.
Note: Be prepared to submit a Wage and Income Transcript for both parents to verify that the income on the FAFSA is reported correctly. 
If my parents are divorced, whose information do I need to report on the FAFSA?
Report the income and assets for the parent whom you have lived with the most during the past 12 months. It does not make a difference which parent claims you as a dependent for tax purposes.
If you did not live with either parent or lived equally with each parent, the parental information must be provided for the parent from whom you received the most financial support or the parent from whom you received the most support the last time support was given. 

What should I do if the parent with whom I live with is remarried?
If you are a dependent student and your parent is remarried, the stepparent’s information must be provided in order to be considered for federal student aid.

If I am separated or divorced, but filed a joint tax return, how do I fill out my FAFSA?
You will provide only your own portion of the income, exemptions, taxes paid, and assets on the FAFSA.
Note: Be prepared to submit your and your ex-spouse’s IRS Wage and Income Statement to verify that the income on the FAFSA is reported correctly. 

What if I live with a girlfriend or boyfriend who pays the rent?
Do not report any information for a friend or roommate unless the two of you are married or are considered to have a common-law marriage under your state law. You do, however,  report any cash given to you by the friend or roommate as untaxed income. 

I am now a US Citizen but have an Alien Registration Number (ARN). Which box do I check on the FAFSA?
Check the U.S. Citizen box only; if you have attained your U.S. Citizenship, do not give the ARN.

If I am an emancipated minor or in a legal guardianship, am I considered an independent student?
Yes, you will be required to provide documentation to the Financial Aid Office.  

What if I earned a Bachelors (BA) and am returning to Shasta College?
Once you have completed a BA:

You may apply for and receive the Board of Governors Fee Waiver if eligible

You are not eligible to receive a Pell or to borrow a Subsidized Direct Student Loan

See the Financial Aid Student Loans webpage regarding borrowing limits for Unsubsidized     Direct Loans

Complete the "Request for Consideration" form available under "Forms" on the student loan   webpage and submit it with required loan documents available on the Student Loans webpage

Why do you need my prior transcripts?
All prior Official College /University and Final High School Transcripts with the graduation date should be on file with Admissions and Records when you apply for admittance.
If they are not on file with Admissions and Records we must have ALL transcripts from ALL colleges or universities you have attended no matter how long ago to complete the processing of your financial aid file. 

Do I have to be full-time (12+ units) to receive financial aid?
Awards listed on your Award Letter are based on full-time enrollment; The FPELL grant program does not require full-time enrollment (12 or more units), however payments are based on the number of units you are enrolled in at the time we disburse funds.
Programs for which you must be enrolled in at least 6 units are:
Cal-Grant, FCWS, and Federal Direct Loans.
You must be enrolled Full-Time (12 or more units) to receive​: SEOG
Note: In rare cases your eligibility could require you to be enrolled as a full-time, three-quarter time or half-time student to receive funding. Stop by the Financial Aid Office regarding your payment status.  

If I drop all my classes after I have received financial aid, do I have to pay the money back?
Possibly. You will be notified in writing by the Financial Aid Office of how much you owe. Federal College Work-Study (FCWS) earnings and the BOGFW do not have to be repaid.
Note: Failure to repay funding will prevent any future financial aid anywhere in the United States.  

I plan to go to Shasta College in the Fall and transfer to a different college in the Spring. Will my financial aid transfer with me?
No, financial aid does not transfer. If you are transferring to another college, you must add the other school's federal code to your current FAFSA. Contact the new school's financial aid office to find out what steps you need to take to complete the financial aid process.

I'm enrolled at two colleges. Can I receive financial aid from two different schools at the same time?
No, you cannot receive aid from more than one school during the same term. You may put up to 6 different school codes on your FAFSA, but you must decide at which school you would like to receive your financial aid.
Note: If you are attending two colleges and would like to be paid for all the units you are taking, please see “What is a consortium agreement?” for more information.  
What is a consortium agreement?
In certain cases, the school you are receiving aid from may agree to fund units being taken at another school if the units at the other school are needed to complete your educational goal. This agreement between schools is called a Consortium Agreement. Shasta College is unable to do consortium agreements. Please contact the other school your are attending for their policy on consortium agreements.

Any student having an unresolved issue after following all Shasta College prescribed appeal processes may contact:
The California Community College Chancellor Office, 1102 Q Street #4 Sacramento CA  95822, 916 445.8752

The link to the CCCCO complaint process and form is   

It is important to provide accurate information in regards to financial aid. If the Financial Aid Office has reason to believe that a student or parent has purportedly misrepresented facts relevant to the student’s financial aid application, or has committed forgery or fraud, the student will be contacted to meet with the Financial Aid Director to determine if misrepresentation was intentional.  If it is determined that the student’s intent was forgery or fraud, the information will be forwarded to the office of Inspector General in writing by the Director of Financial Aid. 

​ ​