Student Employment Job Board Posting: Shasta County, Accountant Auditor III
Check out this new job posting!
Field/Industry Clerical & Accounting
Business Name Shasta County
Address 1450 Court St. Suite 348
Phone Number 530-225-5515
Job Position/Title Accountant Auditor III
Rate of Pay $4,836 - $6,173 APPROXIMATE MONTHLY* / $27.90 - $35.61 APPROXIMATE HOURLY*
Days / Hours Monday-Friday 8:00AM - 5:00 PM
Link to job application
About the Position
Under supervision, to perform difficult and complex professional accounting and auditing fiscal work; to prepare a variety of accounting statistical narrative reports; to review accounting methods and practices of County departments, special districts and other agencies; and to perform related work as required.
A position in this class performs super-journey level accounting and fiscal work in a large operating department with a separate fiscal system and diverse and complex fiscal operations, and in the absence of technical accounting supervision. In the Auditor's Office a position in this class may be assigned to perform the most difficult general or cost accounting work and systems accounting duties and conduct the most complex fiscal and management audits characterized by multiple funding sources and contracts, large dollar programs and particular audit sensitivity. Incumbents may supervise a small unit of professional staff or act as team leaders.
Examples of Duties
Prepares a variety of periodic and special accounting and narrative reports of varying complexity for major special districts, the County, State and Federal agencies; assists in the preparation of large departmental and special district budgets by analyzing revenue by source, preparing financial, budgetary and other budget detail in cooperation with program staff, and preparing preliminary recommendations; reviews contracts, grants and transfers of funds for propriety and sufficiency, ensures that cost accounting system changes are made, and sets up appropriations; performs a variety of general and cost accounting work in a complex and separate fiscal system with diverse elements (e.g., inter-governmental service fund, major special districts and related budget units and funds); analyzes and investigates variances between actual and budgeted expenditures necessitating realignment of appropriations, encumbrances and/or payments to reflect proper cost accounting within budget constraints; analyzes and reconciles a variety of County, State and Federal accounting records which vary because of different grant and fiscal year periods, differences in payments and receipts and co-mingled funds; reconciles trust funds; reviews accounting systems and practices and institutes improvements; develops accounting systems or procedures as needed for control purposes, for monitoring and reporting costs on major capital improvement projects, and for cost accounting for grants; develops cost standards; conducts fiscal compliance audits characterized by multiple funding sources and controls large dollar programs and particular sensitivity; examines and audits accounting records, financial statements and other records; prepares working, financial statements and other records; analyzes, maintains and improves accounting systems and procedures; consults with department heads, government officials, business organizations and other interested parties on auditing and fiscal policy, practice and methods; may supervise a small unit of professional or technical staff or act in a lead capacity.
Any combination of education and experience sufficient to directly demonstrate possession and application of the following:
- Knowledge of: General and cost accounting principles and practices; auditing practices for certain positions; business law; grant and governmental accounting principles and practices; governmental budgetary operations; general laws and regulations pertaining to financial operations; the use and limitations of data processing accounting operations.
- Ability to: Effectively perform a variety of difficult and complex governmental, general and/or cost accounting assignments; modify and maintain accounting systems; perform difficult, complex and sensitive fiscal and management audits of a variety of government agencies; understand, interpret and apply provisions of Federal, State and local regulations and policies pertinent to accounting and fiscal operations; prepare a wide variety of financial reports and statements for assignments in accounting and auditing; develop and monitor large departmental budgets; advise management staff on accounting and fiscal matters; supervise or act as team leader over a small group of professional staff.
The above employment standards are typically attained with one year of experience as Accountant-Auditor II with Shasta County or three years of professional experience performing complex accounting, auditing and/or systems work.
- Possession of an appropriate California driver license.
The ideal candidate will have mid to high level auditing experience, preferably in government, non-profit or corporate accounting, or have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, or a closely related field. The candidate must be organized, possess strong critical thinking skills, be familiar with cost accounting and internal control systems. The candidate must also have experience in preparing audit reports and making recommendations while maintaining working relationships with contractors and departmental staff and management. Additional years of experience at the professional accounting level can substitute for years of the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Responses to the following must be submitted with a completed application.
- Describe any experience you have in internal and external auditing, and the types of audits you have prepared and completed.
- Why do you feel internal audits are important in a government setting?
- Describe your experience or knowledge in governmental accounting.
- Do you have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting?
- Online Application