"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." - African Proverb
Umoja (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a community dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American and other students. It is a family that helps its members navigate the college environment and become successful in education.
Shasta College’s Umoja Community is open to all students but specifically designed to increase the retention and success rates, as well as the graduation and transfer rates, of African American students.
When the voices and histories of students are recognized, the opportunity for self-efficacy, or self-belief, emerges. We believe this is the foundation for academic success.
The Umoja Community seeks to:
- Educate the whole student: body, mind and spirit
- Engage students as full participants in the construction of knowledge and critical thought
- Help students experience themselves as valuable and worthy of an education
- Improve reading, writing, self-discipline, communication and critical thinking skills
If you’re interested in joining our Umoja Community, please complete the online application. For more info, call us at (530) 242-7757.
Benefits of Participating in Umoja
As a part of the Umoja family, you will benefit from:
- A strong support system and personal attention by counselors and program staff
- Integrated instruction from caring faculty (coming soon!)
- Peer tutoring and supplemental instruction tutoring
- Motivational and cultural workshops
- Campus tours
- Mentorship with campus faculty, staff, and community members
- Participation in the Umoja Community statewide events