Here at Shasta College we recognize that many students bring their own unique set of experiences to campus. Explore the Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) options offered through Shasta College.

  • Adult students who participate in CPL saved an average of 9 to 14 months in completing their degree and between $1,500 and $10,200 in expenses.
  • Students are 17 percent more likely to complete their program when they take advantage of an institution’s CPL offerings.

(Source: Data from a 2020 report published by CAEL and the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE))

Speak to a counselor for all Credit for Prior Learning options and how they can best meet your academic goals.

AP Exams

If you have taken a college level class in high school and pass a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) exam with a minimum score of three (3) in a subject matter, you could be awarded units.

CLEP Exams

Upon completion of six semester units at Shasta College, a student may submit official College Level Examination Program (CLEP) test results to Shasta College from the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB).


A student may challenge some classes by taking an examination or assessment. Examinations/Assessments may be taken only once and, if passed, the credit will be posted on your permanent academic record.

High School Articulation

Students may receive college credit for articulated high school courses as permitted by the California Educational Code.

IB Exams

In addition to getting preparation for college, you may get credit for college classes by passing IB exams.

Industry Recognized Credentials

Shasta College recognizes that some industry credentials may fulfill course objectives and student learning outcomes for corresponding Shasta College courses/programs.


In some instances, it is necessary for a portfolio to be submitted in order to translate prior learning into course credit. Each course contains different requirements.

Transfer Credit from Other Colleges/Universities

If you have successfully completed coursework at another regionally accredited college or university, we encourage you to meet with your counselor to discuss how that coursework could apply towards your current program/major.


Shasta College will evaluate your Joint Services Transcript for the opportunity to receive course credit.