The Student Health & Wellness Office provides nursing health care for individual students. The college nurse can assess your complaint and pertinent body system and make a nursing diagnosis, discussing next steps of care.
Please Note: The college nurse is a nurse, not a physician, and cannot make medical diagnoses.
College Nurse Services
This service provides assistance to students seeking:
- Health & Wellness Counseling
- Illness Assessment and Referral
- Vision / Hearing screening
- Tobacco Cessation Counseling
- TB Skin Testing (Call for appointment. TB tests are given on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. A second visit must be made 72 hours after the test is given to interpret the test results.)
- Urinalysis (dipstick)
- Pregnancy Testing (must be 35 days since first day of LMP)
- Body Composition Screening (TANITA Impedance scale)
- Blood Sugar Screening
- Anemia Screening
- Cholesterol Screening (nominal fee)
- Flu shots (nominal fee)
The information derived from screenings is to be considered preliminary and does not constitute a diagnosis. It is your responsibility to follow-up with your healthcare provider for further evaluation and diagnosis.
With the exception of cholesterol screening and flu shots, there are no additional charges for services rendered in our office.
Preparing for your visit...
To request a visit with the College Nurse, please Request a Consultation.
- Appointments are usually 20-45 minutes
- Most nursing visits will be provided using a HIPAA compliant Zoom platform
- Students must complete required documents and upload a copy of their state issued photo ID (driver’s license or State ID) on the Student Health & Wellness Portal prior to an appointment being scheduled. These documents will be uploaded to your portal account after Student Health staff has connected with you to determine how our office can assist you
- Students arriving more than 10 minutes late for an appointment will be re-scheduled. Please arrive on time for your appointments!
- Please call as far in advance as possible if you need to re-schedule an appointment so we can offer the appointment to someone else.
Services are available to Shasta College students who have paid the semester health fee and are registered at the time of service in credit-bearing courses for the current semester. Enrollment is verified with each visit.
Primary Healthcare Provider
It is not the intention of the college nurse to be identified as a primary healthcare provider. She can assist with short-term / temporary health problems, but you must follow-up with your primary healthcare provider for on-going healthcare.
The office stocks a limited formulary of non-prescription, over-the-counter (OTC) medications to treat common - uncomplicated ailments. Students must self-select OTC's. Health center staff cannot recommend an OTC. Educational materials are available to assist with your OTC selection.
Online Health Resources
The following web sites are shared primarily as an educational resource. They are not intended to diagnose or guide treatment --- which is only appropriately done by a health care professional.
- Shasta County Public Health - Building a Healthier Community: Immunization information; Control Contagious Diseases and Prevent Epidemics; Investigate health hazards in the community; Link people to personal health services; Monitor the health of our community; Promote healthy living.
- Quit Smoking Resources!
- Current USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service Recall Information
- Shasta Ready
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) - Lots of credible information about maintaining health and preventing illness; Flu updates, vaccination recommendations, etc.
- www.mayoclinic.org - The Mayo Clinic - Medical information and tools for healthier lives, includes a "symptom checker" and FIRST AID Guide
- Familydoctor.org - Accurate, credible health information for the whole family, from the American Academy of Family Physicians
- Virtual Health Center - An on-line resource with links to sites that address health care issues.
- National Heart, Lung & Blood Institute (NHLBI) - The most up-to-date and accurate heart, blood pressure and cholesterol resources.