We strongly encourage you to complete this process at the beginning of your Shasta College experience so you have a clear idea of what you have already taken, and you can avoid taking duplicate coursework.

The Shasta College process for evaluating your potential credit from other colleges will require you to order official transcripts sent directly to Shasta College Admissions and Records Office, and will require you to upload electronic unofficial copies of your transcripts to the online petition.

 “Official Transcripts” are transcripts sent directly from one college to another college either through the mail or electronically.  If you have official transcripts sent to you as a student, and you open them, they are no longer official.

“Unofficial Transcripts” are copies of transcripts that the student receives and has viewed/opened.  You can access your unofficial transcripts through your college portal, or you can request an official copy of your transcripts and open them. It’s a good idea for you to have electronic copies of your unofficial transcripts from every college you have attended.

*”Regionally accredited” means that the college has been reviewed and accredited by one of the seven regional accrediting organizations

This process is not available for international transcripts. For international transcripts, you must have them evaluated by an outside agency. Outside agencies can be found at the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Shasta College can only award credit for international coursework for specific program requirements for Shasta College (“non-transferable”) associate degrees or certificates.  Any coursework determined to be an equivalent will be used for Shasta College graduation requirements, but will not be posted to Shasta College transcripts. 

Process for Requesting Evaluation of Your Transcripts 

  1. Request an official copy of your transcripts from your other college(s) to be mailed directly to the Shasta College Admissions and Records Office, P.O. Box 496006, Redding, CA 96049-6006 or emailed to admissions@shastacollege.edu
  2. Make sure you have unofficial copies of your transcripts yourself in an electronic format. 
  3. Meet with your Counselor to discuss your current major/program goals and update your education plan (“ed plan”).  
    • If there is time during your appointment, you may begin to discuss which classes from your former college(s) might be applicable to your current major/program.
    • Make sure you have your unofficial copies of your transcripts available during your Counseling appointment so your Counselor has something to review.  
    • If your coursework is older than 1995, be prepared to reach out to your former college and ask them for course descriptions to be emailed to you.
  4. After your appointment with your Counselor, complete the Credit for Prior Learning Petition: Transcript Evaluation – Student Initiated (Dynamic Form).
  5. Your form will route to your Counselor for initial evaluation, and then to our Admissions and Records Evaluators for final processing.  In some cases, discipline-specific faculty are involved in the evaluation. Because of the people involved in this process, please allow 4-6 weeks for the final evaluation to be completed.
  6. Counselors and Admissions and Records Evaluators can use unofficial transcripts to do the preliminary evaluation, but no equivalent coursework will be added to your record until your official transcripts are received by Shasta College. 
  7. You will be notified of the final results of the evaluation via email. Once coursework is evaluated, any course equivalents and units will be added to your Shasta College transcripts.  Grades and Grade Points will be assigned for Transfer credit.

If you have questions about this process, please reach out to the Shasta College Admissions and Records evaluators at evaluators@shastacollege.edu