Our experience is that most people have no knowledge of where their childhood immunization records are.  If you attended high school within the past five years they may still have your records.  If you were in the military they may have records.  If you work in a health care agency, check with your employer to see if they require the immunizations—they may have the records.  In the case of Td (tetanus-diphtheria) you may have received it if you were treated in an emergency room or doctor’s office for a cut, burn, or sutures.  They may still have your records.

If you cannot find them you have two choices:  (1) Be immunized again; or, (2) Have a blood test (titer) that shows that you are immune to measles, rubella, hepatitis, and Varicella (these tests are expensive and not all insurance plans cover them).  Td is recommended every 5 - 7 years.  It is recommended that one time as an adult, you receive a Tdap which provides additional immunity to pertussis.

There is no indication that a re-immunization of MMR increases any risks from the vaccine.  If you are uncomfortable about being immunized, you may have blood tests to show whether you are immune.  In the case of Td, there maybe an increased risk of local reaction (redness or soreness at injection site) with very frequent immunization.  If you think you had the vaccine recently try to find the record.

If you have a medical contraindication, the doctor must send documentation explaining why it would be detrimental to your health to be immunized.  Your doctor should arrange for blood titers so that the college and the clinical agencies will know your level of immunity to measles, rubella and Varicella.

There is no exemption for philosophical reasons. You can have the blood test (titer). There is an exemption for religious affiliation or for medical reasons. If you are given a religious or medical exemption and you do not have the blood test to show that you are immune (or if the test shows that you are not immune, you would be prohibited from attending your clinical experiences in the event of an outbreak and this could result in an inability to meet clinical objectives and absences that exceed program limits. In this case, you would have to withdraw from the program.

Until 1995 the Department of Public Health gave an exemption for people born before 1957. However, in recent outbreaks, statistics showed people born before 1957 were getting the diseases so this exemption is no longer in effect.

Yes. Criminal background checks cannot be shared between institutions or even between state agencies.

Yes. The fingerprints were electronically submitted to a state agency and there is no central state database, so each agency needs your fingerprints for their specific agency. 

No, there is a time limit in our clinical affiliation agreements with the hospitals that requires the physical examination and TB screening be done within 6 months of starting the program. You will have to complete TB screening annually while participating in the program.

Yes. It is a good idea to have this type of training so you can respond in an emergency situation. The card is valid for 2 years and can be renewed while in the program.

No. You need a BLS for Health Professionals.  This level of training includes Adult, Child and infant resuscitation and 2-person resuscitation with hands-on demonstration during the certification exam.