Student Support Services (SSS)
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) provides academic support and resources for eligible transfer students. Our goal is to increase college retention and graduation rates, and to assist in the transfer process from Shasta College to four year colleges and universities. Our TRIO staff is personally committed to each student's success and academic goals. Come by our office and read about our recent student success stories!
For more information:
The TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) project is a federally funded program from the U.S. Department of Education. TRIO SSS provides opportunities for academic development, and assists students with basic college requirements and services to motivate them toward the successful completion of their postsecondary education. The program also provides grant aid to current SSS participants who are receiving Federal Pell Grants and are engaged and involved in the SSS program. The goal of SSS is to increase the college retention and graduation rates of its participants and to help students make the transition from one level of higher education to the next.
The activities that are provided to students include but are not limited to:
- Academic tutoring, which may include instruction in reading, writing, study skills, mathematics, science, and other subjects
- Guidance and assistance in postsecondary course selection
- Information on the full range of student financial aid programs, benefits, and resources for locating public and private scholarships
- Assistance in completing financial aid applications
- Education counseling services designed to improve the student’s financial and economic literacy
- Assistance in applying for admission to, and obtaining financial assistance for, enrollment in four-year programs
- Eligible students will receive priority registration that will allow them to sign up for classes before non-TRIO SSS Shasta College students
- Interest inventories and personality assessments that help students choose a major and a career
- Free tours to university campuses to help with transfer decisions
- Computer Literacy exam waivers available if needed for graduation purposes
- Calculator and/or a recorder available for loan each semester