Foster & Kinship Care Education
The Foster and Kinship Care Education Program provides quality education and support to the caregivers of children in out-of-home care, helping these caregivers to meet the emotional, behavioral and developmental needs of the children in their care.
The more we know, the more they grow!
Providing free classes for Resource Families in Shasta and Tehama Counties. These FKCE classes are designed for Resource Families to understand the Child Welfare System, learn about trauma, abuse and neglect, and to develop the specialized parenting skills needed to care for children from hard places.
Whether you are new to foster parenting or an experienced veteran, are a related caregiver, or are looking to become an adoptive parent, the Foster and Kinship Care Education Program provides free classes to enhance your parenting skills and increase your understanding of the system and youth in foster care.
Training topics include:
- How to be a trauma informed healing parent
- Preparing Resource and Adoptive families to care for children in the Child Welfare System
- Understanding the issues related to Reunification, Permanency Planning and Emancipation
- Preparing families to care for children exposed to drugs and alcohol
- Addressing the special needs of children in the Child Welfare System
- Working with the Child Welfare System, birth parents and the Courts
- Understanding the effects of abuse, neglect and trauma in children
- Knowing community resources and how to access them
- Understanding the experience of loss and grief in children
Many questions and emotions may arise:
- Can I afford another dependent?
- How do I deal with the trauma, abuse or neglect the child has experienced?
- How do I deal with the child's birth parents now that the child is placed in my home?
- How will caring for the child(ren) change my family dynamics?
- How do I deal with my feelings of guilt and/or loss?
- Should I pursue guardianship or adoption?
- How do I cope with a child returning to their birth parents, even if I am happy about the reunification?