Excellent Full-Time Educator Award Procedure
The Excellent Educator Award was instituted to annually recognize one faculty member for excellent service to the campus. In addition the recipient of the award becomes the Senate’s candidate for the Hayward Award.
- The candidate should be committed to serving students, either within the classroom as an instructor or outside the classroom as a librarian, counselor, or student services faculty member.
- The candidate should be committed to Shasta College.
- The candidate should be committed to serving Shasta College through participation in professional and/or student activities.
- The candidate should be committed to education. There should be evidence that the candidate maintains currency in the discipline and communicates to student and colleagues an enthusiasm for the discipline and education in general.
- The candidate should be committed to serving as a representative of the profession beyond the local institution.
Within the first six weeks of the spring semester, faculty will have the opportunity to nominate a faculty member whom they believe is deserving of the Excellent Educator Award. The person(s) making the nomination will submit a letter that addresses the guidelines listed above. After all the nominations have been received, the voting members of the Executive Board will be provided with nomination materials for review and consideration of the candidates. In considering the candidates, members are encouraged to use the Hayward Award for "Excellence in Education" Rubric.
At a meeting no later than April of the Executive Board the candidates will be considered. Voting members of the Executive Board will rank their top two candidates by assigning 2 points to the top candidate and 1 to the second choice. The candidate with the highest score will be the winner of the Excellent Educator Award and the Senate’s nominee for the Hayward Award for Excellence in Education awarded by the State Academic Senate.
The Vice President of the Academic Senate will be responsible for administering this program.