Thanksgiving is a day to reflect on what you’re thankful for…
….the Tuesday after is a day to give others something to be thankful for.
The Shasta College Foundation is proud to be taking part in this year’s global celebration of giving! Giving Tuesday takes place on December 1, 2020.
Meet this year’s funds
- With fires, snow & hail, power outages, COVID-19 and the economic downturn, many students struggle to meet basic needs, let alone afford the costs of school.
- In 7 months, we’ve distributed 77 laptops and over $92,000 to over 400 students, thanks in part to Redding Chamber of Commerce, Redding Electric Utility, United Way of Northern California, and most importantly, many community members.
- Students gain real-life skills by gathering data to help advance scientific research and resource conservation.
- Students also become better global citizens through learning how to communicate across cultural divides.
- Don’t let funding issues prevent students passionate about scientific research and the environment from having this skills-building, life-altering experience!
- Past locations have included Fiji, Honduras, Guyana, and Indonesia, and South Africa.
- Newly formed, this fund will be 100% allocated at the direction of the Shasta College Emeritus Association, a group of dedicated individuals who have retired from the District.
- Each year, we partner with The McConnell Foundation to bring a diverse group of speakers to excite, challenge, and inspire community members and students alike.
- Donors to this fund will be sent a poll regarding what their area of interest might be for future speakers!
- This culturally enriching event is always free and open to the public – our goal isn’t just to support students, it’s to encourage life-long learning and provide opportunities for our community members.
- Prior speakers have included Food Network star Chef Jeff, Pulitzer Prize winning author Colson Whitehead, environmental activist Rick Bass, political journalist Mara Liasson, U.S. Poet Laureate Juan Felipe Herrera, and many more.
- Explorative learning like a day of oceanography on a coastal research vessel or a day of immersion for the American Sign Language class by visiting the Mozzeria: San Francisco’s deaf owned, run, and operated pizza shop.
- Focused efforts to help students bridge the gap, like the “Final Exam Jams” and the annual FREE math camp to give students a jump start on the skills that they’ll need to achieve their dreams!
- Cultural and ecological awareness events such Cinco de Mayo and Earth Day, which include engaging and educational demonstrations and activities for all!
- Speech and debate competitions where the leaders of tomorrow flex their speaking skills and get vocal about a variety of causes.
- Theater and musical experiences covering everything from the Summer Vocal Musical Institute, to sponsoring students' travel to the annual Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival, to bringing in renowned musicians in jazz, classical, and gospel music to teach and perform.
You can donate via PayPal* using the link below or via check by addressing it to the Shasta College Foundation, indicating the fund of your choosing in the memo area, and mailing to:
Shasta College Foundation
P.O. Box 496006
Redding CA 96049-6006
*Please be sure to select the fund you’d like to support from the dropdown menu! Non-designated donations will be contributed to the area of greatest need.