VN Information Sessions & Application Requirements
In order to be eligible for admission, students must submit an application packet during a designated application filing period. All qualified applicants are placed on a waiting list and enrolled on a space available basis in the order of their accepted application date. Space in the program is limited to 28 students with a new class admitted every third semester.
The Vocational Nursing Program (VN) admits a class every third semester. Classes are scheduled to start:
- Fall 2022
- Spring 2024
Next scheduled Waitlist Application Information Sessions & Enrollment Periods are:
|Wait List Application Information Sessions||Wait List Application Filing Period|
|Monday, February 1, 2021 at 5:30 PM via Zoom||March 8 - March 26, 2021|
|Monday, August 2, 2021 at 5:30 PM via Zoom
|September 7 – September 24, 2021|
More information coming soon!
Students must meet all the following requirements to apply to the waitlist:
- High school diploma or its equivalent and submit proof
- Completion of prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better. No in-progress courses will be accepted.
- Proof of ONE of the following:
- A current Nurse Aide certificate (CNA). Those students who have a CNA from another state should apply for a California CNA. This must be current at the time of application.
- A copy of your Shasta College Medical Assisting certificate that was issued within the last 3 years.
- A completed Work Experience Verification Form and supporting letter showing employment with healthcare experience (>200 hours, with direct human care/contact, within the last 3 years). Clerical positions such as medical scribe, patient registration, and reception are non-direct human care/contact and therefore do not meet the Work Experience requirement.
- Completion of all non-time sensitive Health and Safety Requirements Prerequisite Courses
Application packets will be available for pickup at the Health Sciences Division Office or for download from the Health Sciences Forms & Packets webpage 2-3 days before the Information Session and throughout the application filing period.
Health Sciences Division Office
1400 Market St., Room 8204
Redding, CA 96001
A completed Vocational Nursing Waitlist Application Packet includes ALL of the following:
- Application for admission to Shasta College (updated annually online, no earlier than January 1)
- All completed required forms in the VN Program Waitlist Application Packet
- Official* transcripts of ALL colleges attended, except Shasta College. Official* high school transcripts showing date of graduation, completion of California High School Proficiency Examination, or verified copy of G.E.D. test results
- This requirement is not necessary if applicant has a post-secondary degree and submits the official College Transcript showing the conferred degree
- Proof of immunity for all non-time sensitive Health and Safety Requirements (clinical requirements)
*Official transcripts are those that have been received from another educational institution in a sealed envelope and remain UNOPENED. Once an envelope containing a transcript has been opened (seal broken), it cannot be accepted by Shasta College for purposes of application filing to the VN program.
*All other College and/or high school records that may already be on file with the Shasta College Admissions & Records Office cannot be used for an application packet. You must resubmit all college and/or high school records with each new application packet.
Application packets must be submitted within the application filing periods listed above by mail or hand delivery. Mailed applications must be postmarked within the application period. Packets will not be accepted outside of the application period.
For information on how applicants are selected, please view VN Enrollment Process.