History AA-T Degree
Associate in Arts for Transfer | SC Program: AA-T.4004
The Associate in Arts in History for Transfer Degree will develop skills and knowledge consistent with the study of history in a global, multicultural and comparative context. The successful student will have developed the reading, writing, and research skills essential to historical inquiry and exposition. This program emphasizes the development of various societies through a chronological study of all aspects of history which includes intellectual, cultural, economic, political and social history. The Associate in Arts in History for Transfer Degree is designed to provide students with a common core of lower division courses required to transfer and pursue a baccalaureate (4-year) degree in History in the CSU system.
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Interpret primary and secondary historical sources and compose an argument which uses them, as appropriate, for support in a research paper.
- Explain and critically describe the major economic, social, political, and cultural developments of history.
- Assess the cultural legacies and contributions of each area under study to present times.
- Analyze the development and impact of political ideological trends.
In addition to the 37-39 unit general education pattern for CSU or IGETC, students must complete the core courses listed below for the Associate in Arts in History for Transfer Degree. Students must also obtain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 and a C or better in each major course, or a “P" if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.
- HIST 17A United States History 3
- HIST 17B United States History 3
- HIST 2 World Civilization to 1500 C.E. 3
- HIST 3 World Civilization: 1500 to Present 3
List B (Select two courses, one from each area) 6
Area 1: Diversity
- HIST 25 African American History (3)
- HIST 35 History of Mexican Americans (3)
- HIST 36 History of the Far East (3)
- HIST 38 History of World Religions (3)
- HIST 57 Russian History (3)
- Any List B, Area 1 course not already used above
- ANTH 2 Cultural Anthropology (3)
- ANTH 25 Culture and History of the North American Indian (3)
- ART 2 History of Western Art Through the Gothic Period (3)
- ART 3 Western Art, Renaissance to Contemporary (3)
- HIST 1A History of Western Civilization (3)
- HIST 1B History of Western Civilization (3)
- HIST 40 History and Government of California (3)
- HIST 55 History of the American West (3)
- HUM 2 Exploring the Humanities (3)
- MUS 11 History of Jazz and Early Rock (3)
- MUS 15 History of Rock (3)
- MUS 16 History of Jazz (3)
Associate in Arts in History for Transfer Degree Requirements
General Education: 37-39
General Electives: 15-20**
Degree Total Will Not Exceed: 60 Units
**Number will vary depending on units that double count.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!