Psychology AA-T Degree
This program introduces students to psychology as the scientific study of human behavior and mental processes and the practical application of psychology to personal and social issues. The Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer degree is designed to provide students with a common core of lower division courses required to transfer and pursue a baccalaureate (4-year) degree in psychology in the CSU system.
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- List and describe the major concepts, vocabulary, theoretical perspectives, and empirical findings of psychology.
- Describe and apply basic research methods in psychology.
- Practice critical thinking to solve problems related to behavior and mental processes.
- Link psychological concepts and principles to relevant practical applications.
In addition to the 37-39 unit general education pattern for CSU or IGETC, students must complete the core courses listed below for the Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer Degree. Students must also obtain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 and a C or better in each major course, or a “P" if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.
- MATH 14*# Introduction to Statistics 4
- PSYC 1A*# General Psychology 3
- PSYC 25 Introduction to Research Methods 3
List A (Choose one course from the following) 3-4
- BIOL 1*# Principles of Biology (4) OR
- BIOL 10 & 10L*# Gen Biology and Gen Biology Lab (3/1)
- BIOL 5*# Introduction to Human Biology (3)
List B (Choose one course from the following) 3-4
- Any List A course not used above (3-4)
- ECE 1*# Human Development (3)
- ENGL 1B* Literature and Composition (3) OR
- ENGL 1C Critical Reasoning, Reading, and Writing (3)
- PSYC 15*# Social Psychology (3)
- SOC 1*# Intro to Sociology (3)
List C (Choose one course from the following) 3-4
- Any List A or List B course not used above
- PSYC 5*# Human Sexuality (3)
- PSYC 14*# Psychology of Personal/Social Adjustment (3)
- PSYC 17*# Abnormal Psychology (3)
- PSYC 20*# Cross-Cultural Psychology (3)
- PSYC 41 Cultural/Social Context of Childhood (3)
- PSYC 46*# Human Learning & Memory (3)
*May be used to fulfill CSU General Education requirements. See a counselor.
#May be used to fulfill IGETC requirements. See a counselor.
Associate in Arts in Psychology for Transfer Degree Requirements
General Education: 37-39
General Electives: 18-20**
Degree Total Will Not Exceed: 60 Units
**Number will vary depending on units that double count.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!