A scholarship is a financial aid award designed to support a student's education. They are awarded based upon various criteria typically reflecting the values and purposes of the award donor or founder. Scholarships are not required to be repaid.
Shasta College accepts scholarship applications twice a year. Applications are for the current semester only. Scholarship opportunities vary and are available based on funding.
|Application Period||Application OPens||Application Closes|
|Fall Application Period||Opens: July / August||Closes: October / November|
|Spring Application Period||Opens: December / January||Closes: March|
Students enrolled at Shasta College will be notified when applications are being accepted.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in at least 6 units at Shasta College
Please Note: High School Seniors graduating from a high school located within the Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Community College District may apply during the Spring application period only. Applicants do not need to be currently enrolled in 6 units at the college. Scholarship recipients will have to attend Shasta College next Fall and Spring semesters.
How to Apply
Step 1 — Create or Sign In to AcademicWorks account
- Beginning in Fall 2023, accounts on AcademicWorks require that you use your @students.shastacollege.edu email.
- If you have an existing account on AcademicWorks using a non-college email, please enter your @students.shastacollege.edu email and then click on “Trouble signing in” button. This will enable you to set up a new password and access your existing AcademicWorks account.
Step 2 — Complete the online Scholarship General Application
- Many of the Shasta College sponsored scholarships, are auto-matched with completed Scholarship General Applications that meet donor requirements. This enables you to automatically apply for multiple scholarships by completing just form.
- Applications are matched based on:
- the “active major” on file with the Admissions office, and
- participation in various other Shasta College programs (i.e. PACE/CARE, EOPS, Umoja and ACE)
- Please verify this information is correct, by opening your Applicant Record on your General Application. Updates can be made by contacting the program office and will be reflected within 24 hours of the change being made.
- To ensure donor requirements are met, only one “active major” can be on file (this is for scholarship purposes only). Scholarship required active majors must be reflected on the student’s record at the time funds are to be disbursed.
Step 3 — To apply for opportunities that are not auto-matched by the system, use the "Apply" button to complete the additional donor question(s), including providing email addresses for your references.
- References should be from an instructor, work or volunteer supervisor, or someone who can comment about you objectively (NOT a family member or close friend).
- References will be contacted to complete the process by email. Please ensure email addresses are entered correctly or the recipient will not receive your invitation.
- Please give your reference at least two (2) weeks prior to the deadline to complete the process.
- References must be received before the application deadline. Please track and remind references of the application deadline.
In order to be considered for Financial Need based scholarship(s), a current FAFSA or CADAA must be on file with the Shasta College Financial Aid Office.
Please Note: The General Application must be updated each semester.
Some scholarship donors require interviews as a final application step. Applicants will be notified if invited for an interview. Please be sure that your contact information is current on your AcademicWorks & MyShasta accounts; and that your voicemail is set-up and that your in-box is not full.
- 5 Tips for Successful Scholarship Interviews
- Common Scholarship Interview Questions (and how to answer them)
Application Review and Scoring
Qualified applications will be forwarded to the scholarship review committee for evaluation and scoring. It may take up to two months after the scholarship deadline for a scholarship to be awarded. Applicant(s) with the highest score(s) will be awarded the scholarship and will be notified by email.
Students can check award status of a scholarship by logging into their AcademicWorks account and selecting "My Applications."
- Awarded: you have been selected to receive the scholarship award.
- Alternate: You may be awarded the scholarship at a later time if funds are unable to be disbursed to the original scholarship recipient.
- Not Awarded: You have not been selected as the scholarship recipient.
- Submitted: Applications are being evaluated and scored. Recipient has not been determined.
Scholarships awarded in the Fall are funded in the Spring. Scholarships awarded in the Spring are funded in the Fall, or ½ in the Fall semester and ½ in the following Spring semesters. More details about each scholarship can be found on the scholarship award offer email recipients receive.
Once your eligibility has been confirmed, a credit will be placed on your student account. If the college is owed funds, the college we will be reimbursed and a check for the remaining balance will be mailed to you at the address on file. Please make sure your address is up to date. Please use your MyShasta account to update your information.
Scholarships are processed after the semester begins. The goal of the scholarship office is to have scholarships funded within six (6) weeks of the start of school, though usually it is much quicker.
Frequently Asked Questions
Issue: You are not admitted to Shasta College and do not have a valid student ID number.
- Solution: Complete the Admissions & Records admissions application.
Issue: You have a duplicate student ID number on file with Admissions & Records.
- Solution: Contact Admissions & Records to remove duplicate account.
Beginning in Fall 2023, you may only use your @students.shastacollege.edu email to access AcademicWorks. Enter your @students.shastacollege.edu email address. If you have an existing AcademicWorks account using a non-Shasta email address, please enter your @students.shastacollege.edu email address and then click on “Trouble signing in” button. An email to reset your password will be sent to your @students.shastacollege.edu email address and this will enable you to set up a new password and access your existing AcademicWorks account.
Issue: Someone else has the same email address you are trying to sign in with on file with Shasta College.
- Solution: Update email address using your MyShasta account.
Issue: You are using an email address Shasta College no longer has on file for you.
- Solution: Update email address using your MyShasta account.
- Locate and open the “Trouble signing in” link on the AcacemicWorks Sign In page.
- Enter your @students.shastacollege.edu email address and click “Recover Password”.
- Log into your @students.shastacollege.edu email account and follow the directions to create a new password.
In order for a general application to be matched, you must have an “active major” on file with the Admissions Office. So, you either do not have an “active major” on file with the Admissions Office OR the “active major” on file is no longer the major you are pursuing. This information needs to be updated by contacting the Admissions Office.
In addition, some scholarship require participation in specialized programs such as PACE or EOPS. If this information is not up to date, then it will not be used in the matching process. Please verify this information is correct by opening your Applicant Record on your General Application. If this information needs to be updated contact the program office. Application information will be updated in AcademicWorks within 24 hours.
Application information will be updated in AcademicWorks within 24 hours.
External Organization Scholarships
If you have received a scholarship from an external organization, please review your award letter in My Shasta under My Financial Aid. The Award Letter is located from the drop-down menu at the top of the page (once the page is opened).
If the scholarship is not listed, then the funds have not yet been received. You are welcome to reach out to the donor to ensure funds have been sent, as sometimes there is a delay.
Funds are to be made out to Shasta College and mailed to:
Attention: Scholarship Office
P.O. Box 496006
Redding, CA 96049-6006
Scholarships are processed after the semester begins and in the order that the funds are received. The goal of the Scholarship Office is to have scholarships funded within six weeks of the start of school, though usually it is much quicker.
Once funds have been received and funding eligibility has been confirmed, a credit will be placed on your student account. If the college is owed funds, the college will be reimbursed and a check for the remaining balance will be mailed to you at the address on file. Please make sure your address is up to date. Please use your MyShasta account to update your information.
Please note that scholarships over $500 are paid ½ in the Fall semester and ½ in the Spring semester, unless the donor states otherwise.
External Scholarship Opportunities
Scholarship opportunities from external organizations are posted as a service for Shasta College students. This listing is not an endorsement of any of these sites. We do our best to only post verified scholarships for organizations whose website contains contact information which includes physical address and phone number for headquarters located within the United States, and whose organizations cannot use application information to build a customer base. Applicants do not need to be a Shasta College student to apply for these scholarship opportunities.
Applicants should never be asked to pay to apply or receive a scholarship. Please contact our Scholarship Office at (530) 395-8514 if you are asked to do so. Scholarship opportunities requiring a fee will be removed from our website.