A scholarship is a financial aid award designed to support a student's education. They are awarded based upon various criteria typically reflecting the values and purposes of the award donor or founder. Scholarships are not required to be repaid.
Shasta College accepts scholarship applications twice a year. Applications are for the current semester only. Scholarship opportunities vary and are available based on funding.
- Fall Application Period: August / September through October / November
- Spring Application Period: December / January through February / March
Students enrolled at Shasta College will be notified when applications are being accepted.
- Applicants must have 12 college units completed by:
- August 1 for the Fall application period
- January 1 for the Spring application period
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in at least 6 units at Shasta College
- Units from other colleges can be counted toward the 12-unit requirement. Units must be reflected on transcripts which will be uploaded and part of the application.
- The 12-college unit requirement does not apply to seniors graduating from a high school located within the Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Community College District. Seniors may apply during the Spring application period only.
How to Apply
Step 1 — Create or Sign In to AcademicWorks account
Step 2 — Complete the online General Application
Our process has been updated so that completed applications will be automatically matched to donor requirements. Due to this change, the list of “Recommended Opportunities” in Step 3 that have an "Apply" option has been reduced. Please be advised, the number of scholarship opportunities you may be considered for has not decreased.
Scholarship applications are matched to the active major on file in the Admissions office, and various Shasta College programs (i.e. PACE/CARE, EOPS, Umoja and ACE). Please verify this information is correct, by opening your Applicant Record on your General Application. Updates can be made by contacting the program office. Updates are reflected within 24-hours of the change. To ensure donor requirements are met, only one active major can be on file (this is for scholarship purposes only).
Step 3 — To be considered for additional scholarship opportunities, use the "Apply" button to complete the additional donor question(s), including providing email addresses for references.
- References should be from an instructor, work or volunteer supervisor, or someone who can comment about you objectively (NOT a family member or close friend).
- References will be contacted to complete the process by email. Please ensure email addresses are entered correctly or recipient will not receive your invitation.
- Please give your reference at least two weeks prior to the deadline to complete the process.
- References must be received before the application deadline. Please track and remind contacts of the application deadline.
In order to be considered for Financial Need based scholarship(s), a current FASFA or CADAA must be on file with the Shasta College Financial Aid Office.
Please Note: In order for accurate review, your General Application must be updated each semester.
Some scholarship donors require interviews as a final application step. Applicants will be notified if invited for an interview. Please be sure contact information is current on AcademicWorks & MyShasta accounts; and voicemail is set-up and in-box is not full.
- 5 Tips for Successful Scholarship Interviews
- Common Scholarship Interview Questions (and how to answer them)
Application Review and Scoring
Qualified applications will be forwarded to the scholarship review committee for evaluation and scoring. It may take up to two months after the scholarship deadline for a scholarship to be awarded. Applicant(s) with the highest score(s) will be awarded the scholarship and will be notified by email.
Students can check award status of a scholarship by logging into their AcademicWorks account and selecting "My Applications."
- Awarded: you have been selected to receive the scholarship award.
- Alternate: You may be awarded the scholarship at a later time if funds are unable to be disbursed to the original scholarship recipient.
- Not Awarded: You have not been selected as the scholarship recipient.
- Submitted: Applications are being evaluated and scored. Recipient has not been determined.
Scholarships awarded in the Fall are funded in the Spring. Scholarships awarded in the Spring are funded Fall or ½ Fall and ½ the following Spring semesters.
Once eligibility has been determined, a credit will be placed on your student account. If the school is owed funds, we will be reimbursed and a check for the balance will be mailed to the address on file. Please make sure the address is up to date and can be changed using your MyShasta account.
Scholarships are processed after the semester begins. The goal of the office is to have scholarships funded within six weeks of the start of school, though usually it is much quicker.
Frequently Asked Questions
Issue: You are not admitted to Shasta College and do not have a valid student ID number.
- Solution: Complete the Admissions & Records admissions application.
Issue: You have a duplicate student ID number on file with Admissions & Records.
- Solution: Contact Admissions & Records to remove duplicate account.
Issue: You do not have a valid email address on file with Shasta College or someone else has the same email address you are using on file with Shasta College.
- Solution: Update email address using your MyShasta account
Issue: Someone else has the same email address you are trying to sign in with on file with Shasta College.
- Solution: Update email address using your MyShasta account.
Issue: You are using an email address Shasta College no longer has on file for you.
- Solution: Update email address using your MyShasta account.
- Locate and open the “Trouble signing in” link on the AcacemicWorks Sign In page.
- Enter the email address on file with Shasta College and click “Recover Password”.
- Log into your email account and follow the directions to create a new password.
You do not have an active major on file with Admissions & Records OR you have a major on file that you are no longer pursuing. AcademicWorks aligns to “active” major.
Participation in programs such as PACE or EOPS is not aligning to AcademicWorks.
Contact the department which oversees the program and submit required documents (if necessary) to correct student information.
- We upload changes from the Shasta College database to AcademicWorks nightly.
- Allow 24 - 48 hours for these changes to post.
External Organization Scholarships
If you have received a scholarship from an external organization, please review your award letter in My Shasta under My Financial Aid. The Award Letter is located from the drop-down menu at the top of the page (once the page is opened).
If the scholarship is not listed, funds have not been received, though it may be in the mail. You are welcome to reach out to the donor to ensure funds have been sent, as sometimes there is a delay.
Funds are to be made out to Shasta College and mailed to:
Attention: Scholarship Office
P.O. Box 496006
Redding, CA 96049-6006
Once funds have been received and eligibility has been determined, a credit will be placed on your student account. If the school is owed funds, we will be reimbursed and a check for the balance will be mailed to you at the address on file. Please make sure the address is up to date and can be changed using your My Shasta account.
Scholarships are processed after the semester begins and in the order funds are received. The goal of the office is to have scholarships funded within six weeks of the start of school, though usually it is much quicker.
Please be aware, scholarships over $500 are paid ½ Fall and ½ Spring, unless the donor states otherwise.
External Scholarship Opportunities
Scholarship opportunities from external organizations are posted as a service for Shasta College students. This listing is not an endorsement of any of these sites. We do our best to only post verified scholarships for organizations whose website contains contact information which includes physical address and phone number for headquarters located within the United States, and whose organizations cannot use application information to build a customer base. Applicants do not need to be a Shasta College student to apply for these scholarship opportunities.
Applicants should never be asked to pay to apply or receive a scholarship. Please contact our Scholarship Office at (530) 242-7709 if you are asked to do so. Scholarship opportunities requiring a fee will be removed from our website.