Vocational Nursing (LVN) Clinical Requirements Packet
Congratulations! By now you have been informed by the Health Sciences Office that you have been accepted or are an alternate to the upcoming Vocational Nursing Program. It is now time to proceed with fulfilling the clinical requirements.
All documentation for the Pre-Enrollment Packet must be submitted as a complete packet* in a large manila envelope.
*Records will not be accepted separately.
The first page of each packet is a Pre-Enrollment Clinical Requirements Check List is available for you to print and use as a guide in completing all of the processes necessary.
- If you have been accepted into the class, complete all Steps A - G following the directions here, on the checklist and in the associated policies.
- If you have been selected as an alternate to the class, proceed with Steps A - C and then STOP until directed by the Health Sciences Division. The last steps of the process are time-sensitive and should be completed only when you have been accepted into the class.
We encourage you to start the process by reviewing the clinical requirements for the program and the required immunizations along with the associated clinical requirements policy.
Part 1 Content
Complete the Clinical Requirement Check list and submit copies of all required documentation. These include:
- Copies of your vaccine record or lab test results (titers) have already been submitted prior to being invited into the program, therefore no additional immunization documentation is needed unless requested by the Health Sciences Division Office. For spring start classes, all students are required to provide documentation of the current flu vaccination. For more information, visit the Other Programs Immunization Information page.
- A copy of your current CPR certification. As a vocational nursing student, you will be assigned to patients in healthcare facilities for your clinical experiences and as such are required to be currently certified in Basic Life Support with CPR for adults, children, and infants and tested with two-person rescue.
Vocational nursing is a physically demanding profession, and you must be prepared to meet the technical standards necessary to physically perform the functions of nursing. Upon review of the standards, print the Technical Standards Disclosure form, initialing each of the areas in which compliance with the standard is possible. Then sign and date as indicated on the bottom of the form.
The initial step to completing the criminal background check is to complete the Health Science Program Application for Clinical Practice form. This form confidentially discloses to Shasta College the existence of any criminal issues. While the existence of convictions will not necessarily disqualify you from enrollment, failure to disclose may be considered falsification and will result in the offer of enrollment being rescinded and will be grounds for immediate termination upon discovery at any time during enrollment.
Alternates - STOP!
You only need to complete Steps A – C at this time. Do not complete D – G until directed by the Health Sciences Division.
Accepted Students - CONTINUE
You must complete all Steps A – G. Please complete Steps D – G by required deadlines.
The Tuberculosis (TB) screening results will be documented on the Immunizations Form and on the 2-Step Tuberculosis Screening form. If you have had a past positive PPD, please document on the NEW STUDENT - Confidential TB Screening & Questionnaire form and submit with appropriate documentation.
The required physical examination must be completed within no more than 6 months prior to entering the program. The results of the physical examination must be documented on the Health Data/Physical Exam form. The front page of the Health Data form is to be completed by you and the back page by your healthcare provider.
The information on the Student Data Form will be kept on file while you are enrolled in the program. It is your responsibility to notify the Health Sciences office of any changes in your contact information by filling out the Contact Information Change Form.
- Use of Electronic Devices Agreement
- Student Honor Contract
- Photography and Publication Release
- Assumption of Risk and Release
Part 2 Contents
See program invitation letter for the specific time frame to complete the 2nd TB screening. Complete the Tuberculosis Screening Form and attached attach the 2nd TB screening result.
It is important for you to follow the Step-By-Step Instructions for completing the Criminal Background Check and Drug Screening. Proceed with this step ONLY when notified of your acceptance into the class.
Completion of Clinical Requirements
Once you have completed the Clinical Requirements and have the required documentation for each item necessary, the packet may be submitted to the Health Sciences office. Health Sciences office staff will review the materials and verify completion.
All materials submitted become the property of Shasta College and will not be returned to you. We encourage you to make copies of all the forms and materials submitted for your own records.
The following provides additional details about the program and more information to help complete Clinical & Pre-Enrollment Requirements.
Your Program Mandatory Orientation will consist of two parts:
- Program & Systems Orientation will be delivered via Shasta College’s learning management system, Canvas. You will be sent an email providing you with instructions and giving you a 2-week period of time in which to the complete the orientation.
- Faculty & Class Introduction is a zoom meeting with your new faculty and classmates. A zoom link will be emailed at a later date.
Completion of both parts of the Mandatory Orientation is required to complete your eligibility and be given authorization to register.
The following links contain all of the forms you will need to complete your Clinical & Pre-Enrollment Requirements:
- Complete Part 1 Packet (PDF)
- Clinical Requirements Checklist (PDF)
- Technical Standards Disclosure (PDF)
- Confidential Application (PDF)
- Health Data & Physical Exam (PDF)
- Vocational Nursing Student Data Form (PDF)
- 2-Step Tuberculosis (TB) Screening (PDF)
- Use of Electronic Devices Agreement (PDF)
- Honor Contract Form (PDF)
- Confidential TB Screening (use if positive PPD/chest x-ray/Quantiferon Gold) (PDF)
- Publication Release Form (PDF)
- Criminal Background Check & Drug Screening Instructions
These links provide information on associated Clinical Requirements policies:
If at any time during the process of preparing for enrollment, you make any changes to your contact information, please notify us immediately.