Hospitality: Culinary Arts Concentration AS Degree
With this degree, graduates enter the culinary field well prepared for entry-level employment, many progressing to management positions. Students will apply principles in sanitation and safety, hospitality, basic food production, nutrition, management, advanced cuisine, and gourmet food preparation. Business communications and general education requirements are also required for the degree. Hands-on worksite learning provides the student additional experience in the field.
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Prepare workstations, corresponding to the preparation and presentation of a meal, in a time-restricted quality-minded setting.
- Prepare large scale quantity items in a time-restricted quality-minded setting.
- Practice the principles of sanitation and safety procedures.
- Recognize the types of gourmet foods served in hotels and restaurants and the presentation of these specialties.
- Demonstrate the principles of the garde manger section of the kitchen.
- BUAD 66* Business Communications 3
- CULA 45 Basic Food Production 5
- CULA 46 Advanced Foods 5
- CULA 48 Gourmet Food Preparation 3
- CULA 49 Menu Planning and Cost Analysis 2
- CULA 50 Sanitation and Safety 2
- CULA 55 Food and Beverage Cost Control 2
- CULA 60 Beverage Management 2
- CULA 65 Dining Room Service 3
- CULA 75 Pastry 2
- CULA 94 Culinary Arts Worksite Learning 1
- CULA 159 Stocks, Soups, Sauces & Basic Culinary Prep. 2
- CULA 161 The Art of Garde Manger 2
- CULA 172 Baking 2
- FSS 25* Nutrition 3
- HOSP 10 Introduction to the Hospitality Industry 3
- HOSP 55 Customer Service Skills for a Multicultural Workplace 3
- HOSP 65 Hospitality Supervision 3
*May be used to fulfill General Education requirements. See a counselor.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
Additional General Education: 12
General Electives: 0
Degree Total: 60*
*Note: Calculation assumes a student will fulfill computer literacy through a test. If this graduation requirement is added, the number of units is increased by 3 units.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!