Wine Essentials Noncredit Certificate
Noncredit Certificate | SC Program: NCR.1002
The goal of the Wine Essentials certificate is to improve employability, job placement, and academic skills that can be applicable for current employees and students that may be interested in the Hospitality industry. The certificate will prepare students with essential knowledge regarding the basics of winemaking, characteristics of major wine varietals, and hands-on practice with food and wine pairing. Concepts covered in the certificate courses can be applied to home preparation of food with wine, restaurant food production with wine, and dining out.
This certificate is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of the listed requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this certificate.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student should be able to:
- Identify the differences between the making of still wines, fortified wines, and sparkling wines.
- Compare different grape varieties/varietal wines.
- Describe steps in the wine making process.
- Compare American, French, Italian, and German wines, wine regions and varietals.
- Describe the principles of food and wine pairing.
- Identify hard to pair foods and their reaction to wines through taste comparison.
- Identify various cooking methods and their interaction with different wines.
Required Noncredit Courses
- CULA 373 Introduction to Wines (0)
- CULA 366 Wine with Food (0)
For reference only as of 2022/2023
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!