ECE – Family Childcare Certificate
Certificate | SC Program: CL.3154
The Early Childhood Education Family Childcare Certificate offers students initial training for employment as a family childcare provider. After completion of the 17-unit certification program, the student will be prepared to seek a family childcare provider position or family childcare licensure (assuming ability to pass Community Care Licensing [Social Services Department] requirements related to physical site).
This is a locally approved certificate. Upon satisfactory completion of the listed requirements and application for completion of the certificate to Admissions and Records, the student will receive a certificate of completion. This certificate program is not approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office; therefore, completion of the certificate will not be listed on the student’s transcript.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student should be able to:
- Apply principles of child development in planning inclusive and developmentally appropriate curriculum and environments.
- Utilize positive guidance of young children based on an understanding of cognitive, social and emotional development of children.
- Create environments that are healthy, respectful and supportive to children and their families.
- Identify and analyze the elements of professionalism and its importance in family childcare settings.
- Complete class exercises applying management and operation knowledge by developing an operational structure of a mock family childcare setting.
Core Courses: # of Units
- ECE 1 Human Development OR ECE 9 Child Growth and Development 3
- ECE 2 Child, Family, Community 3
- ECE 6 Exploring Family Childcare 1
- ECE 52 Guidance in Adult-Child Relations 3
Restricted Electives - (Choose two courses) 6
- ECE 12 Infant/Toddler Learning 3
- ECE 14 School-Age Learning 3
- ECE 17 Principles/Practices of Teaching Young Children 3
- ECE 20 Introduction to Curriculum 3
- ECE 22 Care and Education for Infants and Toddlers 3
- ECE 24 EC Curriculum: School Age Care 3
- ECE 26 The Child With Special Needs 3
- ECE 27 Teaching Children with Special Needs 3
- ECE 28 Teaching in a Diverse Society 3
Total Units for Certificate: 16
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!