Immunizations required for working or volunteering in a child care center in California 

Effective September 1, 2016, all adults employed or volunteering over the age of eighteen will be required to have certain immunizations in order to provide care and supervision to children in group care. These immunizations will be required for all students taking ECE 7, ECE 8, ECE 15, ECE 17ECE 20, ECE 60, and ECE 94 beginning in the Fall 2016 semester.

Please see your healthcare provider or call Public Health in your area to obtain these immunizations. 

Immunization Requirements Form

Complete the form below and bring a COPY of your official immunization documentation for verification to the ECE Center. Students who cannot complete or provide documentation will not be allowed to enroll in the following courses: ECE 7, 8, 15, 17, 20, 60, 94. Documentation must be submitted to the ECE Center Office or your Instructor on or before the first day of class.

Early Childhood Education: Immunization Requirements (PDF)

Which immunizations are required?

  • TDaP – Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis
  • MMR – Measles, Mumps and Rubella
  • Influenza vaccine (may choose to decline, but sign a statement)
  • TB clearance (this is not a new requirement, but a continuing one)

Are there exemptions?

  • A written statement from a licensed physician declaring that because of the person’s physical condition or medical circumstances, immunization is not safe
  • Written evidence of current immunity from a licensed physician
  • A written declaration that the influenza vaccine has been declined

What are my options?

  • Provide proof of current immunizations within 30 days of start date
  • Get immunized
  • Take a blood test to determine current immunity
  • Seek written proof of an exemption as listed above

Where can I get immunizations?

  • Immunizations can be given at physician’s offices, the Public Health Department, clinics and some drug stores.
  • TB test is free at Shasta College Health Center – call for an appointment: 242-7580.

What does it cost?

  • If you have health insurance or are on your parent’s insurance, it may or may not cover the cost of the immunization. Check beforehand.
  • The Public Health Department can offer the TDAP and MMR to anyone age 19 and older who is either uninsured or underinsured (meaning their insurance does not cover vaccinations) for free.
  • The Shasta County Public Health Department offers the TDaP and the MMR for $11 per shot for those who don’t qualify for free immunizations. Call for an appointment (229-8400). Public Health is located at 2650 Breslauer Way in Redding. The cost at a private physician’s office varies.
  • In Tehama County, Public Health is located at 1860 Walnut, Bldg. C, in Red Bluff (527-6824). Fee scale is based on income and number of people in the home. The range is from $6.00 to $38.00 per shot.
  • Trinity County Public Health is located at 51 Industrial Parkway in Weaverville (Call 530-623-8209 to make an appointment). The cost is $45 for the TDaP and MMR fee was not available. These are both free if you are underinsured or working with children under the age of 1 year.