Geographic Information Systems AS Degree
Associate in Science | SC Program: AS.1520
The Associate of Science degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) provides students with skills, knowledge and experience in the application of GIS. Students complete courses in the technical aspects of GIS and information technologies, along with courses in fields to which GIS is commonly applied, including geography, earth and social sciences, natural resources and engineering. Students gain knowledge of maps, geographic data, and imagery, while developing skills in data collection, analysis and map creation. As students progress through the program the applied field courses provide direction for learning about the application of GIS, which gives direction to GIS project work. Worksite learning allows students to gain GIS workplace experience in their chosen field and to develop contacts among the community of GIS professionals. Successful students will have strong computer and critical thinking skills. Refer to http://www.shastacollege.edu/gis for more information.
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Explain and summarize key GIS concepts, applications and societal implications.
- Perform GIS data acquisition, capture, editing, and attributing.
- Manage GIS data through file management, database design, georeferencing and conversion.
- Perform GIS analysis using queries, overlay functions, and models.
- Produces maps of subjects in application discipline demonstrating effective communication, design aesthetics, application of GIS tools and use of cartographic standards.
- Effectively engages with community through projects, volunteer activities, user meetings and worksite learning.
- Demonstrates effective written and oral communication of GIS challenges and opportunities pertaining to application discipline.
- GEOG 5* Digital Planet: GIS and Society 3
- GEOG 9 Map and Geospatial Principles 3
- GEOG 10 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems 3
- GEOG 12 GIS Data Design and Capture 3
- GEOG 13 GIS Spatial Analysis 3
- GEOG 14 GIS Cartography and Visualization (3) OR GEOG 15 Intro to Remote Sensing (3)
Choose 3 units from the following courses: 3
- GEOG 21 GIS-CAD Integration (1)
- GEOG 24 Customizing GIS (1)
- GEOG 25 GIS Projects (1)
- GEOG 94 GIS Worksite Learning (1-2)
Choose 10 units from the following courses: 10
- CIS 2* Introduction to Computer Science (4)
- CIS 23 Database Management Systems (3) OR CIS 24 Database Design (3)
- CIS 61* C++ Programming (3) OR CIS 62* Java Programming (3) OR CIS 64 Web Programming using Java/ PHP/Flash (3)
Choose 6-8 units from the following courses: 6-8
- AGNR 1* Intro to Natural Resources (3)
- AGNR 50 Natural Resource Measurements (3)
- ENGR 1A Measurements and Plane Surveying (3)
- ENGR 1B Plane Surveying (3)
- ENGR 27 Map and Computer-aided Drafting (3)
- ESCI 1* Physical Geology (4)
- ESCI 10* Environmental Geology (4)
- GEOG 1A* Physical Geography (3)
- GEOG 1AL Physical Geography Lab (1)
- GEOG 1B* Human Geography (3)
- GEOG 2A Physical Field Geography (1)
- GEOG 2B Human Field Geography (1)
- GEOG 7* California Geography (3)
- GEOG 8* World Regional Geography (3)
*May be used to fulfill General Education requirements. See a counselor.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
Additional General Education: 9-15
General Electives: 6-14
Degree Total: 60*
*Note: Calculation assumes a student will double-count the Multicultural graduation requirement with either a social science or humanities G.E. requirement and that the student will fulfill computer literacy through a test. If students plan well and see a counselor, they may be able to double count the Multicultural and Computer Literacy units. If these graduation requirements are added, the number of units is increased by 6 units.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!