California Pr​ivate and Out-of-State

Students that are unsure of their school of transfer should explore schools that are in California and outside of California as well as public and private schools.  However, there are hundreds of other schools that you should research before deciding on which school is the best fit for you.

Be sure to meet with a Shasta College counselor to discuss admissions requirements for these schools as they tend to vary by school. Ask your counselor about Articulation Agreements with these schools. Articulation Agreements are formal agreements between Shasta College and the four-year school that states which courses taken here will be accepted as comparable coursework at the four-year school.

Cali​fornia Private

There are over 75 private universities in California. With so many choices, it is important to understand the differences between these universities. Private universities are funded primarily from student tuition, endowments and donations. This is different than public universities that are funded primarily through state taxes.

Some private universities will have a specific religious affiliation, some will be for-profit schools and others non-profit, and some will serve a specific gender or ethnic population.

It is important to do your research early and often when considering a private university in California. Be sure to utilize your Shasta College counselor and also contact the university that you are interested in to speak with an admissions representative.   


Transferring outside the state of California provides students with thousands of choices. It is important to find out if the university you are considering is a private or public university. A private university will have the same tuition rates for residents as non-residents. However, if you are looking to transfer to a public university in another state where you are not a resident, tuition will depend on your residency status. Typically, non-residents pay much more than a resident at a public university.

There are other factors to consider when deciding which university to attend besides cost of tuition and there are many forms of financial aid to assist a student with attending an out-of-state or private university. It is important to do your research early and often when considering an out-of-state university. Be sure to utilize your Shasta College counselor and also contact the university that you are interested in to speak with an admissions representative.

Southern Oregon University* and Oregon Institute of Technology* offer Student Reciprocity Exchange Permits for Shasta College students.  These reciprocity programs allow qualified California residents to be eligible to pay in-state Oregon fees instead of the higher out-of-state fees as a non-resident.  Please talk with a Shasta College counselor to find out if you meet the reciprocity requirements.

Southern Oregon University

Southern Oregon University welcomes all Shasta College students to take advantage of the CalifOregon Reciprocity Agreement. You can save thousands of dollars per year through this agreement, as eligible Shasta College students qualify for the equivalent of in-state Oregon tuition. To qualify for the reduced tuition, you must complete 30 transferable semester credits at Shasta College and meet the SOU admission standards outlined at

When you are ready to transfer to SOU, submit a completed admissions application at, an application fee (or request a fee waiver), and all college transcripts. You should also request an exchange permit from Shasta College to pay Oregon equivalent tuition at SOU. To learn more about the Reciprocity Agreement, visit

Western ​Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE)

Students who are residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming are eligible to request a reduced tuition rate of 150% of resident tuition at participating two- and four-year college programs outside of their home state.

The reduced tuition rate is not automatically awarded to all eligible candidates. Many institutions limit the number of new awards each academic year, so apply early. For more information and a list of participating WUE institutions please visit

If the school you would like to transfer to is outside of California and not on this list, please call the Transfer Center at (530) 242-7570 and see how we can assist you.

Exploration Tools