Associate Degree Nursing Prerequisite Requirements
Please contact a Shasta College Health Sciences counselor to verify that courses meets program requirements. Call the Health Sciences Division at (530) 339-3600 to schedule an appointment.
The science prerequisites must be completed with a grade of “C” or better in each course, with a minimum science GPA of 2.5. All science prerequisites must have a lab component. Online lab courses will be accepted at this time, but in person labs are preferred.
Beginning in 2023, there will be a seven (7) year recency requirement for the Anatomy and Physiology science prerequisites.
- Anatomy (with lab)
- Physiology (with lab)
- Microbiology (with lab)*
*At Shasta College, this course has a prerequisite of CHEM 1A, CHEM 2A, OR CHEM 2B, or an AP Chemistry exam with score of 3 or higher or 1 year of high school chemistry with a grade of "B" or higher as verified by a counselor.
Students must complete general prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or better in each course.
General Prerequisites - Minimum 3 Semester Units or 4 Quarter Units
- ENGL 1A College Composition
- ANTH 2 or SOC 1 Cultural Anthropology or Introduction to Sociology
- PSYC 1A General Psychology
- CMST 54 or CMST 60 Small Group Communication or Public Speaking
- CMST 10 - Interpersonal Communication will only be accepted as a prerequisite if completed Spring 2014 or prior.
- PSYC 14 - Psychology of Personal & Social Adjustment will only be accepted as a prerequisite if completed Fall 2017 or prior.
- SOC 2 - Social Problems will only be accepted as a prerequisite if completed Fall 2017 or prior.
Please Note: In addition to the successful completion of these prerequisite courses, any additional Shasta College Graduation Requirements are also required to be completed prior to filing an application to this program.