Heavy Equipment Logging Operations and Maintenance Certificate
Certificate | SC Program: CT.3454
- Operations and maintenance of logging equipment
- Education in natural resource management, regulatory compliance, and employment opportunities
- Hands-on experience on site at active logging sides
The Shasta College Heavy Equipment Logging Operations (HELO) Program is a one-of-a-kind effort to increase workforce capacity in areas of fuels reduction, mechanized logging, and sustainable forest management. Our HELO program is funded by California Climate Investments and administered by the CAL FIRE Forest Health grant program in collaboration with public agencies, private industry, and employer partners.
For more information or to get started, contact us at HEOP.
California Registered Apprenticeship Forest Training (CRAFT)
The Shasta College HELO program is an official pre-apprenticeship program for the California Registered Apprenticeship Forest Training (CRAFT), a statewide apprenticeship program for employees in the timber harvesting industry. For more information, visit https://craftprogram.net/
SC Program: CT.3454
This certificate will train students to enter a career in the timber industry as a heavy logging equipment operator. Students will operate various pieces of heavy logging equipment and vehicles. This is a hands-on, field-experience-oriented certificate. Some courses will utilize off-campus forest grounds for training.
This certificate is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of the listed requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this certificate.
Program Learning Outcome
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student should be able to:
- Inspect, service, safely operate, and perform minor repairs on various pieces of heavy logging equipment in a forest logging operation.
- Explain and follow forest practices rules and regulations applicable to logging operations.
- AGNR 101 Beginning Forestry (3)
- AGNR 102 Basic Logging Equipment Operations (1)
- AGNR 103 Intermediate Logging Equipment Operations (4)
- AGNR 104 Production Logging Equipment Operations (1)
- CONS 45 Career Planning and Leadership for Heavy Equipment Operators (2)
- CONS 46 Equipment Operations and Maintenance (3)
- CONS 140A Commercial Driver Learner's Permit Preparation (2)
Total Units for Certificate: 16
For reference only as of 2022/2023