Heavy Equipment Logging Operations and Maintenance Certificate
Certificate | SC Program: CT.3454
Accelerated Course Sequence Available
As of Fall 2022, our Heavy Equipment Logging Operations (HELO) certificate is offered in a new, academy-style format. If you are planning to participate in our program, or for more information, please fill out a request for information so we can assist you in scheduling your courses.
- Operations and maintenance of logging equipment
- Education in natural resource management, regulatory compliance, and employment opportunities
- Hands-on experience on site at active logging sides
The Shasta College Heavy Equipment Logging Operations (HELO) Program is a one-of-a-kind effort to increase workforce capacity in areas of fuels reduction, mechanized logging, and sustainable forest management. Our HELO program is funded by California Climate Investments and administered by the CAL FIRE Forest Health grant program in collaboration with public agencies, private industry, and employer partners.
For more information or to get started, contact us at HEOP.
California Registered Apprenticeship Forest Training (CRAFT)
The Shasta College HELO program is an official pre-apprenticeship program for the California Registered Apprenticeship Forest Training (CRAFT), a statewide apprenticeship program for employees in the timber harvesting industry. For more information, visit https://craftprogram.net/
SC Program: CT.3454
This certificate will train students to enter a career in the logging industry as a heavy logging equipment operator. Students will operate various pieces of heavy logging equipment and trucks. This is a hands-on, field experience oriented certificate. Some courses will utilize off-campus forestry grounds for training.
This certificate is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of the listed requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this certificate.
Program Learning Outcome
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student should be able to:
- Upon successful completion of this program the student will be able to inspect, service, safely operate, and perform minor repairs on various heavy logging equipment in a forest logging operation.
- Upon successful completion of this program the student will be able to explain and follow forest practices that apply to the logging operation they are assigned to.
- AGMA 44 Introduction to Construction Skills for Agriculture and Natural Resources OR WELD 70 Beginning Welding (3)
- AGNR 1 Introduction to Natural Resources (3)
- AGNR 56 Heavy Logging Equipment Operations and Maintenance (4)
- CONS 45 Career Planning and Leadership for Heavy Equipment Operators (2)
- CONS 46 Equipment Operations and Maintenance (3)
- CONS 48 Surveying for Equipment Operators (2)
- CONS 149A Class A & B License Training (3)
- MATH 100 Technical Applications of Mathematics OR AGNR 52 Computers in Agriculture and Natural Resources OR CIS 1 Computer Literacy Workshop (3)
Choose 2 units from the following:
- CONS 55A Equipment Operations Skills Development (1)
- CONS 55B Equipment Operations Pad Construction (1)
- CONS 55C Equipment Operations Roadway Construction (1)
- CONS 55D Equipment Operations Global Satellite System Skills (1)
- CONS 94 Worksite Learning for Construction Technology (1-2)
TOTAL UNITS FOR CERTIFICATE: 25 Units