Academic Renewal Procedure
Policy for Academic Renewal
In accordance with Title 5, Section 55046 the following policy regarding Academic Renewal permits removing “D” and “F” grades from grade point calculation when the student’s previous academic performance is not reflective of the student’s recent performance. Students may petition the Scholastic Standards Committee to have their academic record reviewed for Academic Renewal of substandard academic performance under the following conditions.
- The maximum amount of course work that may be academically renewed is 30 semester units of D and F grades, within two consecutive academic years.
- A minimum of two years must have elapsed since the coursework to be renewed was completed.
- To apply for Academic Renewal, the student must have completed either 15 semester units with at least a 2.5 grade point average (G.P.A.) or 24 semester units with a G.P.A. of at least 2.0 since the course(s) to be renewed.
- Courses which have been excluded by Academic Renewal may not be used in the fulfillment of requirements for a degree or certificate at Shasta College. Courses which were used in the past to fulfill the requirements of a degree or certificate already granted by any institution may not be excluded by Academic Renewal.
- Units that have been excluded by Academic Renewal cannot be reinstated.
- Courses which have been excluded by Academic Renewal may not be used to fulfill prerequisites.
- The student’s permanent record will be annotated in such a way that all work remains legible, ensuring a true and complete academic history. However, the grades will no longer be included in the computation of the student’s G.P.A.
Academic renewal procedures may not conflict with the District’s obligation to retain and destroy records or with the instructor’s ability to determine a student’s final grade. Academic renewal actions are irreversible.
The “Academic Renewal” application may be obtained from Cindy Silva in the Admissions and Records Office (email email@example.com or call 530-242-7665). The student’s Academic Renewal application will be presented to the Scholastic Standards Committee. The Scholastic Standards Committee will consider the application at one of their regularly scheduled monthly meetings (note: this committee does not meet in June or July). The decision of the Scholastic Standards Committee will be final.
Academic Renewal action taken by Shasta College does not guarantee that other colleges or universities will accept such action. This determination is made by the respective institutions.