Aid Specifically for Community Colleges

The following grants are solely for California Community Colleges, and are not available at four-year universities:

  • California College Promise Grant (CCPG) (tuition waiver)
  • Shasta College Promise Program (tuition waiver)
  • Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)
  • Educational Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS) book grant (however, most California public universities have a sister program called Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), and may offer EOP grants)

What type of aid is available for my bachelor’s degree?

Federal Aid

(Please Note: Only available to US Citizens and eligible non-citizens)

Federal Pell Grant (Website)

Eligibility: Federal Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.)

Apply: Complete the FAFSA at


  • How much you will receive will be based on the cost of attendance of your institution of choice, your status as full or part time, and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). (In 2024-25, the EFC will be replaced by the Student Aid Index, or SAI.)
  • The maximum award amount for the 23/24 award year is $7,395 based on the regular academic year (two semesters or three quarters), but may be more if you attend a university that is year-round and/or summer sessions

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) (Website)

Eligibility: Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant is a grant for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. The financial aid office at your university will determine how much financial need you have.

Apply: Complete the FAFSA at

Amount: You may receive up to $4,000 a year depending on

  • Your financial need
  • When you apply – apply early as these funds are limited
  • The amount of other aid you get
  • The availability of funds at your university

More information: Not all schools offer the FSEOG. Check with the financial aid office at your university to see if they offer the grant.

Federal Direct Loans (Website)


  • Applied for financial aid (FAFSA)
  • Must be enrolled at least half-time at a school that participates in the Direct Loan Program
  • Must show financial need for Direct Subsidized Loans (financial need NOT required for Direct Unsubsidized Loans) 

To apply

  • After you receive your award letter, inform your school you would like the loan
  • Complete the entrance counseling exam and sign the Master Promissory Note

Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (Website)


  • Be employed by a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization (including U.S. military service)
  • Work full-time for that organization
  • Have Direct Loans
  • Repay your loans under an income-driven repayment plan
  • Make 120 qualifying payments

The PSLF Program forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made the 120 qualifying monthly payments. For more information, please click on the Public Service Loan Forgiveness link above.

Federal Veteran’s Administration Benefits (Website)

If you are an active military member, a veteran, or the spouse or offspring of an active military or veteran, you may be eligible for Veteran’s educational benefits.

Make sure you contact the Veterans Services Office at your intended university for details

State of California Aid

Please Note: Available for California residents, most programs also available for undocumented students

Cal Grant (Website)


  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen or meet AB540 eligibility criteria
  • be a California resident for 1 year
  • attend a qualifying California college
  • not have a bachelor’s or professional degree
  • have financial need at the college of your choice
  • have family income and assets below the minimum levels
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half time
  • Effective with the 2021-22 academic year, registration with the Selective Service System (SSS) for males 18-25 years of age is no longer required to receive state financial aid in California. Although registration is not required to receive state financial aid in California, failure to register may impact future opportunities and/or benefits. Check with the U.S. Selective Service System for more information at
  • not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan
  • not be incarcerated
  • maintain the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as established by the school. Recipients who do not meet the standards are ineligible for Cal Grant payment and will not use eligibility during the terms they are ineligible for payment 


Submit the FAFSA or Dream Act application and your verified Cal Grant GPA (the Cal Grant GPA will automatically submitted by Shasta College if you are a current student) by the March 2nd Cal Grant deadline

Cal Grant Community College Entitlement Award (Website)


  • Must be enrolled at a California Community College
  • Meet the general Cal Grant eligibility requirements


  • Submit a FAFSA or CA DREAM Act Application
  • Log in to WebGrants 4 Students and Confirm GPA 

The award can transfer to a California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) but cannot be transferred to a private college for this particular Cal Grant program.

Transfer Entitlement Award (Website)


  • Transferring from a community college to a 4-year university that offers a bachelor’s degree in the award year. Cannot have a gap in enrollment between attendance.
  • Students who are under the age of 28 by December 31 of the award year
  • Students who meet the general Cal Grant eligibility requirements
  • Students who graduated from a California high school after June 30, 2000, and were California residents


  • Complete the FAFSA or CA DREAM Act Application
  • Submit a CA Community College GPA based on 24 completed units to the California Student Aid Commission by March 2nd
  • Once you are preliminary awarded you must complete the Transfer Entitlement Certification form at WebGrants 4 Students

CCC Transfer Entitlement Cal Grant A & B for Undocumented/Dreamer Students (Website)

  • Meet AB 540 requirements (For more information click here)
  • Under 28 by Dec 31st of the award year
  • Attend a community college in the academic year immediately before the award year
  • Submit a community college GPA of 24+ units (2.40 or higher) (the Cal Grant GPA will automatically be submitted by Shasta College if you are a current student)
  • Include a 4-year CA college on your CA Dream Act Application

Middle Class Scholarship (Website)

For Undergraduates as well as Students Pursuing a Teaching Credential.


  • Be a California resident attending a UC, CSU, or CA Community College Bachelor’s degree program
  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or meet the requirements for non-resident tuition exemption
  • Meet income/asset and other financial aid standards
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Not be in default on a student loan
  • Must not be incarcerated


California Military Department GI Bill Award Program (Website)


  • Be an active member of the California National Guard, the California State Guard, or the Naval Militia
  • Agree to remain an active member throughout the participation period in the program
  • Agree to serve two years in the California National Guard, the California State Guard, or the California Naval Militia upon completion of the last academic period of utilizing this program
  • Agree to use the award to obtain a certificate, degree, or diploma that you currently do not possess
  • Agree to only obtain one degree (baccalaureate, graduate, or doctoral) while participating in the Program
  • Agree to complete course of study within 10 years of initial acceptance into the Program
  • Be enrolled in, registered at, or accepted to a qualifying institution
  • Agree to maintain enrollment of a minimum of three (3) academic units per semester, or the equivalent, at a qualifying institution as defined by California Education Code section 69432(l)
  • Agree to maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA)
  • Be a resident of California for at least one year. 


  • Submit FAFSA
  • Complete the California Military Department GI Bill Award Program Application form
  • Submit a completed Statement of Understanding
  • Submit a CMD GI Bill Service Commitment Acknowledgement form
  • Submit a completed Letter of Recommendation form from a former or current professor or school counselor, a current or former commander, or a civilian employer
  • Priority Deadline is April 30, 2024 (Deadline for 2023-24 academic year has already lapsed)

California Dream Act Service Incentive Grant (DSIG) Program (Website)


  • Completed and Submitted California Dream Act Application (CADAA) for that academic year
  • Active recipient of a Cal Grant A or Cal Grant B award. Cal Grant A must have met Cal Grant B eligibility
  • Demonstrate enough financial need
  • Enrolled in a qualifying institution


Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Grant Program (Website)


  • Be a dependent or spouse of an employee who lost his/her life in the line of duty or was totally disabled as a result of an accident or injury
  • Submit a FAFSA
  • Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program at a Cal Grant eligible school
  • Meet the Cal Grant income and asset ceilings
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Students may be eligible for up to the full LEPD award amount in accordance with their institution awarding and Cal Grant eligibility guidelines. Students may be eligible to receive this grant for a maximum of four years.


Chafee Grant (for foster and former foster youth) (Website)


  • Be a current or former foster youth who was a ward of the court, living in foster care, between the ages of 16 and 18
  • Not have reached their 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year
  • Be enrolled in an eligible vocational school or college courses at least half-time
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress
  • May be used at non-California institutions that meet specific criteria 


Aid for specific majors/academic programs

If you are currently working in a program that participates in Quality Counts North State, and are looking to continue your education, there is a scholarship that will help to cover tuition and textbooks. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Leslie Segura in the Shasta County Office of Education at

Available for undocumented students as well

Title IV-E for Social Work (Website)

Title IV-E Stipend Program - The nation's largest consortium of schools of social work and public service agencies provides support for the delivery of a specialized public child welfare curriculum and support for students committed to service in public child welfare.


  • Be selected in accordance with the federal policies and the priorities of this project
  • Have been admitted into the school’s social work program
  • Be able to be legally employed in California
  • Be a resident of California o Have a valid, unrestricted driver’s license and commit to securing use of a car for fieldwork
  • Evidence commitment to public child welfare social work, and aptitude to carry out the duties of a public child welfare social worker in California

Full-time students in either the MSW or BASW program must not be active employees of a public (state, county, Tribal) social services agency during the regular academic year, but may be employed during a period when they are not taking classes (summer and vacation periods)

Part-time students in the MSW, BASW, or Pathway programs (CSU Chico and Cal Poly Humboldt’s Distributed Learning Social Work programs) must be current employees of a public (state, county, Tribal) social services agency

In the case of students not currently employed in a public (state, county, Tribal) social services agency, the decision to provide support will be, to the greatest extent possible, equivalent to prequalification for employment in public (state, county, Tribal) child welfare agency, including criminal background checks and other pre-screening procedures

Priorities for:

  • Current county/state/Tribal social services staff and
  • Applicants who reflect the diversity of California’s child welfare population

DACA students eligible

For more information contact:

TEACH Grants (Website)

TEACH Grants are federal grants that award up to $4,000 a year to students pursuing a career as a teacher. 

  • WARNING: TEACH grants require you to work for at least four years as an elementary school or secondary school teacher or in a specified high-need area of teaching. If you receive a TEACH grant but do not complete these requirements within eight years of graduating, the loans will be converted into unsubsidized loans, which you’ll be responsible for repaying in full.


  • Meet the basic eligibility criteria for the federal student aid programs
  • Complete a FAFSA form
  • Be enrolled at a school that participates in the TEACH Grant program
  • Be enrolled in a TEACH-Grant-eligible program
  • Meet certain academic achievement requirements (Example: 3.25 GPA or greater)
  • Receive TEACH Grant counseling
  • Sign the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve or Repay
  • Federal Aid, not available to students who are undocumented


  • Submit FAFSA
  • Contact the financial aid office at the school where you will be enrolled to find out whether the school participates in the TEACH Grant Program and to learn about the programs of study at the school that are TEACH-Grant-eligible.

Employee Tuition Assistance/Reimbursement

There are many companies that offer tuition assistance or reimbursement for their employees. Here is a list of companies known to offer college tuition programs. Some have conditions and restrictions. Check with your Human Resources (HR) department for details since they vary from location and from corporate versus franchise. If there is no link, you must either discuss with your HR department, or you may be able to access the information through your personalized employee benefits portal.


Shasta College Scholarships (Website)

Shasta College offers hundreds of scholarships, and many of them are specifically for students who are transferring to a university


  • Students must be enrolled in at least 6 units at Shasta College
  • If there is a 12-unit requirement, units from other colleges can be counted toward the 12 units


  • Create an account with AcademicWorks
  • Complete the online General Application
  • To be considered for additional scholarships opportunities, use the “Apply” button to complete the additional donor question(s), including providing email addresses for references.

Amount: varies

  • Every university offers scholarships.
  • Some are specifically for transfer students.
  • Research your intended university’s website for Scholarships (may be part of their Financial Aid website)

Scholarship search engines allow you to create a profile with information about yourself, which will then search a scholarship database for scholarships that match all or part of your profile and email you details.

Finding scholarships this way is time consuming and should be treated as almost a part-time job BUT can pay off if you apply to enough scholarships that you are eligible for.

This is a partial list of scholarship search engines: