Business Information Systems Professional AS Degree
This degree prepares you to be an advanced-level Administrative Assistant. Administrative Assistants work for supervisors, managers, and executives. Students learn the following skills:
- Document and Data Handling: How to prepare, modify, and proofread documents such as reports, letters, memos, records, lists, and schedules.
- Technology: Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and Outlook. Setup and coordinate meetings and conferences using Outlook.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office: PowerPoint, Internet Explorer, and Access. Incorporate computer graphics in documents, in addition to computer based filing methods and procedures.
- Keyboarding: Type 50-55 words per minute.
- Interpersonal: Meet and greet clients and visitors, maintain a pleasant manner, and project a professional image in person and on the phone.
- Confidential: Handling of mail, money, and receipts, and record keeping.
- General: Research and price office furniture and supplies with attention to detail. Sales concepts, including markups, discounts, insurance, and depreciation, scheduling and reporting duties, coordinate and maintain records for staff. Obtaining on-the-job training through the Worksite Learning course at Shasta College is highly recommended.
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Operate the alphabetic, numeric, and symbol keys by touch with proper typing technique.
- Type for 5 minutes at a minimum net speed of 50 words a minute with five errors or less.
- Expand and apply knowledge of Microsoft Word to complete business documents.
- Increase abilities related to formatting business letters, memos, tables, mail merge, and reports including employment documents.
- Answer, with at least 70 percent accuracy, questions on objective tests covering technical information.
- ACCT 101 Basic Accounting I 3
- ACCT 103 Computerized Accounting 2
- BSOT 10 Excel for Windows I 1
- BSOT 11 Excel for Windows II 1
- BSOT 51 Introduction to Keyboarding and Word 3
- BSOT 52 Intermediate Keyboarding and Word 3
- BSOT 64 Computerized Ten-Key 0.5
- BSOT 80 Outlook 1
- BSOT 84 PowerPoint 1
- BSOT 92 Word for Windows II 1
- BSOT 94 Business Systems and Office Tech WSL 1
- BSOT 152 Keyboarding for Speed and Accuracy 0.5
- BSOT 158 Office Procedures for Admin Assistants 3
- BSOT 166 Records Management 2
- BSOT 171 Proofreading Skills 2
- BUAD 66 * Business Communications 3
- BUAD 80 Principles of Customer Service 3
- BUAD 106 Business Mathematics 3
- CIS 1 Computer Literacy Workshop 3
- CIS 20 Access for Windows I 1
Recommended Courses (not required)
- CIS 83 Web Design Using Dreamweaver (2)
*May be used to fulfill General Education requirements. See a counselor.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
Additional General Education: 18
General Electives: 4
Degree Total: 60*
*Note: Calculation assumes a student will double-count the Multicultural graduation requirement with either a social science or humanities G.E. requirement and that the student will fulfill computer literacy through a test. If students plan well and see a counselor, they may be able to double count the Multicultural and Computer Literacy units. If these graduation requirements are added, the number of units is increased by 6 units.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!