Medical Office Professional AS Degree
This curriculum is designed to prepare the individual with clerical medical office skills for entry-level employment in physicians’ offices, health care facilities, clinics, laboratories, health and accident insurance companies, with related clerical duties essential to medical office assisting.
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Effectively use appointment scheduling and patient recall software.
- Identify the legal and ethical issues related to working in a medical practice.
- Plan, design, and create a worksheet.
- BSOT 10 Excel for Windows – I 1
- BSOT 11 Excel for Windows II 1
- BSOT 51 Introduction to Keyboarding and Word 3
- BSOT 52 Intermediate Keyboarding and Word 3
- BSOT 64 Computerized Ten-Key 0.5
- BSOT 80 Outlook 1
- BSOT 94 Business Systems and Office Tech WSL 1
- BSOT 114 Healthcare Billing and Reimbursement 3
- BSOT 150 Electronic Medical Records 3
- BSOT 152 Keyboarding for Speed and Accuracy 0.5
- BSOT 158 Office Procedures for Admin Assistants 3
- BSOT 166 Records Management 2
- BSOT 171 Proofreading Skills 2
- BUAD 66 * Business Communications 3
- BUAD 80 Principles of Customer Service 3
- CIS 1 Computer Literacy Workshop 3
- HEOC 11 Medical Terminology 3
Recommended Courses (not required)
- ACCT 101 Basic Accounting I (3)
- ACCT 103 Computerized Accounting (2)
- ACCT 104 Payroll Accounting (2)
- BIOL 5 Introduction to Human Biology (3)
- CIS 20 Access for Windows I (1)
- BSOT 91 Word for Windows I (1)
- BSOT 92 Word for Windows II (1)
*May be used to fulfill General Education requirements. See a counselor.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
Additional General Education: 18
General Electives: 6
Degree Total: 60*
*Note: Calculation assumes a student will double-count the Multicultural graduation requirement with either a social science or humanities G.E. requirement and that the student will fulfill computer literacy through a test. If students plan well and see a counselor, they may be able to double count the Multicultural and Computer Literacy units. If these graduation requirements are added, the number of units is increased by 6 units.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!