Medical Office Specialist Certificate
This program is designed to prepare the student for an entry-level position in the medical office. Skills learned: prepare claims for health care facilities, clinics, physicians’ offices, medical equipment companies, brief understanding of medical billing services, and record management. Upon completion of this program, the graduate should have the necessary knowledge and skills to secure employment in either the medical provider or health career sectors.
This certificate is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of the listed requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this certificate.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student should be able to:
- Effectively use appointment scheduling and patient recall software.
- BSOT 10 Excel for Windows I 1
- BSOT 51 Introduction to Keyboarding and Word 3
- BSOT 52 Intermediate Keyboarding and Word 3
- BSOT 64 Computerized 10-Key 0.5
- BSOT 80 Outlook 1
- BSOT 94 Business Systems and Office Technologies WSL 1
- BSOT 114 Healthcare Billing and Reimbursement 3
- BSOT 150 Electronic Medical Records 3
- BSOT 152 Keyboarding for Speed and Accuracy 0.5
- BSOT 158 Office Procedures for Admin Assistants 3
- BSOT 166 Records Management 2
- BUAD 80 Principles of Customer Service 3
- CIS 1 Computer Literacy Workshop 3
- HEOC 11 Medical Terminology 3
Total Units for Certificate: 30
Recommended Courses (not required)
- ACCT 101 Basic Accounting I (3)
- BIOL 5 Introduction to Human Biology (3)
- BSOT 11 Excel for Windows II (1)
- BSOT 92 Word for Windows II (1)
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!