Business Information Systems Worker
This certificate prepares students for work as an entry-level Administrative Assistant. Administrative Assistants work for supervisors, managers, and executives. Students learn the following skills:
- Document and Data Handling: how to prepare, modify, and proofread documents such as reports, letters, memos, records, lists, and schedules.
- Technology: Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, and Outlook).
- Keyboarding: Type 35-40 words per minute.
- Interpersonal: Meet and greet clients and visitors, maintain a pleasant manner, and project a professional image in person and on the phone.
- Confidential: Handling of mail, money, and receipts.
- General: Research and price office furniture and supplies with attention to detail. Obtaining on-the-job training through the Worksite Learning course at Shasta College is highly recommended.
This is a locally approved certificate. Upon satisfactory completion of the listed requirements and application for completion of the certificate to Admissions and Records, the student will receive a certificate of completion. This certificate program is not approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office; therefore, completion of the certificate will not be listed on the student’s transcript.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student should be able to:
- Define ethical office behavior.
- Define gracious and efficient behavior with office visitors using appropriate customer service skills.
- Schedule appointments including the use of electronic calendaring.
- Organize files and folders electronically.
- Prepare notices, agendas, and minutes for meetings.
- BSOT 10 Excel for Windows – I 1
- BSOT 51 Introduction to Keyboarding and Word 3
- BSOT 64 Computerized 10-Key 0.5
- BSOT 80 Outlook 1
- BSOT 152 Keyboarding for Speed and Accuracy 0.5
- BSOT 158 Office Procedures for Admin Assistants 3
- BSOT 166 Records Management 2
- BUAD 80 Principles of Customer Service 3
- CIS 1 Computer Literacy Workshop 3
Total Units for Certificate: 17
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!