Health Information Management BS Degree
Bachelor of Science | SC Program: BS.5001
The Health Information Management Program consists of educational courses in the third and fourth year at the upper division level designed to prepare students to work in management-level positions in a variety of healthcare settings. Health Information Management (HIM) is the practice of acquiring, analyzing, and protecting digital and traditional medical information vital to providing quality patient care. HIM professionals are highly trained in the latest information management technology applications and understand the workflow in any healthcare provider organization from large hospital systems to the private physician practice. They are vital to the daily operations management of health information and electronic health records.
Graduates of the baccalaureate program will receive a Bachelor of Science Degree in Health Information Management and upon program CAHIIM accreditation will be eligible to apply to take the national examination for certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator(RHIA).
This baccalaureate degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Qualify for national certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) by achieving a passing score on the AHIMA certification exam.
- Integrate knowledge of medical, administrative, ethical and legal requirements and standards related to healthcare delivery and protecting patient information as evidenced by successful completion of course competencies and assignments.
- Apply the principles of health information management related to administering computer information systems, collecting and analyzing patient data, and using classification systems and medical terminologies as evidenced by successful completion of course competencies and assignments.
- Demonstrate the concepts of effective communication to effectively interact with all levels of a healthcare organization that utilize patient data in decision-making and operations -- clinical, financial, administrative and information systems -- as evidenced by successful completion of course competencies and assignments.
Requirements for Enrollment into the Program
Space in the program is limited. In order to be eligible for enrollment, students must have graduated with an Associate in Science degree in Health Information Technology from a regionally accredited institution. Students who did not follow the CSU or IGETC general education pattern for the associate degree may need to take additional lower division general education courses to meet pre-requisites for the core HIMS courses. Applicants must submit a Health Information Program Application packet via email to HIMapplication@shastacollege.edu.
The application packet information consists of the following:
- Health Information Management Program Application Form
- Unofficial copy of transcripts from all previous college work
- One-page Statement of Interest
As enrollment spaces are determined, applicants scheduled for enrollment will receive an enrollment Invitation email. The email will provide instructions for responding to the invitation by an established deadline. Those who have accepted the invitation to enroll will be sent information on how to register for courses. If the applicant is not able to attend when offered enrollment, they will be removed from the applicant pool and the applicant will need to re-apply to be considered for a subsequent class. Students who are not selected for the cohort have the option of re-applying during a subsequent semester. More information on the Health Information Management program can be found at the HIM General Information Webpage.
California residents enrolled in upper division community college coursework will pay $130 per unit. Students will also have to complete and pay for a physical exam, TB skin test, required immunizations, a background check/drug screening, and any additional clinic-specific requirements necessary to begin the clinical experience.
Health & Safety Clinical Clearance
All students participating in clinical experiences must submit proof of immunity through immunizations or serum titers, cleared criminal background check, negative drug screen, current physical examination and negative TB screening. Students are financially responsible for meeting these requirements according to the established program process. Specific information is available on the Health and Safety Requirements tab on the website or students may call the Division Office (530-339-3600).
- HIMS 405 Fundamentals of Health Information Mgmt 4
- HIMS 408* Ethics in Healthcare Administration 3
- HIMS 410 Healthcare Informatics 4
- ENGL 401* Advanced Professional Writing 3
- HIMS 415 Healthcare Analytics 4
- HIMS 418 Legal Concepts & Compliance in Healthcare 4
- HIMS 420 Principles of Finance for Health Info Mgmt 3
- PSYC 401* Industrial-Organizational Psychology 3
- HIMS 425 Revenue Cycle Management 3
- HIMS 430 Human Resource Management in Healthcare 4
- HIMS 435 Project Management in Healthcare 3
- CIS 401 Database Mgmt & Design for Healthcare Prof. 4
- HIMS 440 Strategic Mgmt for Healthcare Professionals 4
- HIMS 445 Healthcare Info Systems Analysis & Design 4
- HIMS 455A Applied Research Project in Health Info Mgmt 3
- HIMS 455B Advanced Professional Practice Experience 1
*Used to fulfill Upper Division General Education requirements.
Bachelor of Science Degree Requirements
Health Information Technology AS Degree (includes 37-39 units of Lower Division General Education): 75-77
Upper Division Major Core: 45
Upper Division General Education: 9
Degree Total: 129-131
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!