Music AA-T Degree
The Associate in Arts in Music for Transfer Degree is designed to prepare the student for transfer to four year institutions of higher education and specifically intended to satisfy the lower division requirements for the Baccalaureate in Arts in Music at the California State University. This degree is designed to prepare students to demonstrate competence and discipline in the study of music theory, music analysis, music composition, and musicianship skills, and to demonstrate proficiency in ensemble skills and solo performance skills. Completion of this curriculum will demonstrate commitment to the serious study of Music in practice and in theory and provide comprehensive preparation for upper-division work.
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- List and describe the major concepts, vocabulary, theoretical perspectives, and creative performance practices of music.
- Demonstrate ensemble specific performance practices and professional standards of conduct expected of ensemble participants.
- Perform solo literature with an accompanist (if appropriate) using stylistically accurate rhythm, pitch, diction (or articulation) and musical expression.
- Demonstrate the ability to “audiate” a musical score by sight reading and performing complex rhythms and by sight-singing chromatic, modulating, and post-tonal melodies.
- Demonstrate the ability to recognize patterns and musical function by aurally identifying and transcribing scales, modes, post-tonal melodies, and complex harmonic progressions. Analyze chromatic harmonic progressions that include modulation using 20th century techniques.
In addition to the 37-39 unit general education pattern for CSU or IGETC, students must complete the core courses listed below for the Associate in Arts in Music for Transfer Degree. Students must also obtain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 and a C or better in each major course, or a “P" if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.
- MUS 2 Diatonic Harmony and Musicianship 4
- MUS 3 Advanced Diatonic Harmony and Musicianship 4
- MUS 4 Chromatic Harmony 4
- MUS 5 20th Century Harmony 4
- MUS 48 Applied Music (four semesters, 0.5 units each) 2
Large Ensemble (4 semesters, 1 unit each from the following): 4
- MUS 31 Chamber Choir (1)
- MUS 33 Jazz Ensemble (1)
- MUS 35 Vocal Jazz Ensemble (1)
- MUS 40 Concert Choir (1)
- MUS 42 Shasta College Chorale (1)
- MUS 43 Shasta College Symphony Orchestra (1)
- MUS 44 Shasta College Pre-Symphony (0.5-1)
- MUS 46 Shasta College Symphonic Band (1)
- MUS 47 Shasta College Jazz Ensemble (1)
Associate in Arts in Music for Transfer Degree Requirements
General Education: 37-39
General Electives: 0-1**
Degree Total Will Not Exceed: 60 Units
**Number will vary depending on units that double count.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!