What is Financial Aid?

Federal and State Financial Aid is designed to assist students overcome financial barriers to successfully complete their educational goal and is made available by federal/state/private agencies in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and federal work study. Financial Aid is also limited to only supporting classes specifically required for a student’s educational goal.​


Free Application for Federal Student Aid

This is the application to apply for all federal and state grant and/or loans. Starting with the 2017/18 FAFSA, all applications will be available to completed starting on October 1st for the next academic year. Submit your now at www.fafsa.gov. Our federal school code is 001289  Note: ​​You must have an Admissions Application file including your social security number. ​

Common Mistakes 

This information courtesy of CASH FOR COLLEGE

Common Mistakes How to Correct the Information
Listing marital status incorrectly Enter the marital status as of the date you signed the FAFSA
Student not included in number in college Always count yourself and others (except parents) attending college at least half-time and in a program leading to a degree/certificate
Have not registered with Selective Service Males must register with Selective Service. Requirements found at: sss.gov
College(s) were not listed  Review the schools listed on your summary page and make any appropriate changes
Forgetting to sign and date the FAFSA Be sure you have create your FSA ID to electronically sign the FAFSA or print, sign, and mail a signature page to FAFSA

General Financial Aid Information

Financial Aid Deadlines

Federal Policy: All documents must be received as well as a valid FAFSA while the student is enrolled. Students selected for verification must submit all documentation within 120 days of the students last day of attendance to be processed for Pell grant funding.  After that date the student loses any eligibility of aid for that academic year.

Financial Aid Disbursement Process

  • Disbursements are made through your selected refund preference with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. For more information on BankMobile Disbursements visit: https://disbursements.bmtx.com/refundchoices/
  • Adding or dropping units will affect your disbursements. For more information on disbursements visit: Disbursement Schedule.
  • Please Note: Money owed to Shasta College for the current term will be deducted before funds are disbursed to your selected refund preference with BankMobile Disbursements

Frequently Asked Questions

You must meet general eligibility criteria:  

  • You must have a valid Social Security Number.
  • You must be enrolled in a federally recognized program of study leading to a degree or certificate.
  • You must have a high school diploma, GED, high school proficiency or ATB
  • You must be a U.S. Citizen, or eligible non-citizen.
  • You must not be in default on a prior student loan or owe a repayment on federal grants.
  • You must be maintaining SAP (satisfactory academic progress) in your degree or certificate program.​

For the students - this allows students and their families to fill our the FAFSA form earlier than ever before in hopes to have your financial aid eligibility determined before the start of the semester.

Starting with the 2017/18 FAFSA income from two years prior will be required (ex: 2017/18 will require 2015 years income). If you have experienced an reduction of income or extenuating financial circumstances visit: 18-19 Financial Aid Forms webpage to file for an income adjustment.

The federal criteria for being an independent student does not take into consideration where a student lives or whether or not they provide their own support. Refer to "Section 2 -Student Dependency Status" on the FAFSA.

If your tax return is not complete, estimate as accurately as possible the prior or prior prior year's income and taxes paid using your W-2s 1099’s or pay stubs. As soon as you have completed your federal tax return, log back into your FAFSA and make any necessary corrections. It is recommended that after completing your taxes to select the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) for efficient processing. It is important that you do not make any changes to your FAFSA once you have selected to use the DRT.

I'm getting married next month. How do I answer the question that asks if I am married? 

Answer according to your marital status the day you sign the FAFSA. Answer "Yes" if you are married on the day you sign the FAFSA; otherwise, answer "No". 

Parent and/or student marital status has changed since taxes were filed

The FAFSA asks for marital status as of the day you sign the FAFSA. Select the marital status that applies to you as of the day you sign the FAFSA.

Please Note: Be prepared to submit a Wage and Income Transcript for both parents to verify that the income on the FAFSA is reported correctly. 

If my parents are divorced, whose information do I need to report on the FAFSA?

Only report income and assets for the parent whom you have lived with the most during the past 12 months. It does not matter which parent claims you as a dependent on taxes. If you did not live with either parent, or lived equally with each parent the parental information must be provided for the parent from whom you received the most financial support​.

What should I do if the parent with whom I live with is remarried? 

​​If you are a dependent student and your parent is remarried, the stepparent’s information must be provided in order to be considered for federal student aid.

If I am separated or divorced, but filed a joint tax return, how do I fill out my FAFSA?

You will provide only your own portion of the income, exemptions, taxes paid, and assets on the FAFSA.

Note: Be prepared to submit your and your  IRS Wage and Income Statement to verify that the income on the FAFSA is reported correctly. 

What if I live with a girlfriend or boyfriend who pays the rent? 

Do not report any information for a friend or roommate unless the two of you are married or are considered to have a common-law marriage under your state law. You do, however, report any cash given to you by the friend or roommate as untaxed income. 

Check the U.S. Citizen box only; if you have attained your U.S. Citizenship, do not give the ARN.

Yes and you may be required to provide documentation to the Financial Aid Office.

Once you have completed a Bachelor's Degree, you are not eligible to received federal and/or state grants. You have limited eligibility for the following programs:

California College Promise Grant (Formerly BOG Fee Waiver)


An Unsubsidized Student Loan ONLY

Awards listed on your Award Letter are based on full-time enrollment; The FPELL grant program does not require full-time enrollment (12 or more units), however payments are based on the number of units you are enrolled in at the time we disburse funds. Some grants do require full time enrollment status. Read more at: Disbursement Schedule.

Possibly. You will be notified in writing by the Financial Aid Office of how much you owe. Read more at: Return To Title IV Consumer Information. Note: Failure to repay funding will prevent any future financial aid at all colleges. 

No, financial aid does not transfer. If you are transferring to another college, you must add the other school's federal code to your current FAFSA. Contact the new school's financial aid office to find out what steps you need to take to complete the financial aid process.

No, you cannot receive aid from more than one school during the same term. To have your units from another college count towards your enrollment status at Shasta College, for FA purposes, Visit our Consortium Agreement webpage, listed under the FORMS Menu tab for more information.

Shasta College Prescribed Appeal Process

Contact the Associate Dean of Student Services, Johnnie Owens at jowens@shastacollege.edu or (530) 242-7719.

If the Associate Dean of Student Services is not able to resolve your issue you can submit an official complaint through our Dean of Enrollment Services. The complaint forms can be obtained by contacting the:

Dean of Enrollment Office
Shasta College Main Campus, Building 100
Redding, CA 96003
(530) 242-7656

If the college is not able to resolve your issue you may contact:

California Community College Chancellor Office
1102 Q Street #4
Sacramento, CA 95822
(916) 445-8752

The link to the CCCCO complaint process and form is at cccco.edu/Complaint-Process-Notice.

Office of Inspector General Referral

It is important to provide accurate information in regards to financial aid. If the Financial Aid Office has reason to believe that a student or parent has purportedly misrepresented facts relevant to the student’s financial aid application, or has committed forgery or fraud, the student will be contacted to meet with the Financial Aid Director to determine if misrepresentation was intentional.  If it is determined that the student’s intent was forgery or fraud, the information will be forwarded to the office of Inspector General in writing by the Director of Financial Aid.