CLEP stands for College Level Examination Program. CLEP Exams are offered by the College Board to give students an opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge in academic subjects through a national, standardized exam. If you receive a score of at least 50 on a CLEP exam, you can send in your scores to be awarded academic credit.
- Request your official CLEP scores to be sent from “My CLEP Account” on the College Board website to the Shasta College Admissions and Record Office, P.O. Box 496006 | Redding, CA 96049-6006
- Upon receipt of your official CLEP scores, the Admissions and Records Office will determine course/unit equivalencies according to the Shasta College CLEP Credit Matrix (see below), and post coursework and units to your Shasta College transcripts.
- Grades and Grade Points will not be assigned to CLEP Credit.
- If you haven’t yet taken any CLEP exams, are interested in doing so, but think you might want to refresh your knowledge in a particular subject, Modern States offers free, online courses that align with CLEP exams.
Please note the following limitations with CLEP exams:
- The University of California (UC) does not accept credit awarded through CLEP.
- The California State University (CSU) has its own CSU CLEP exam policy.
- Private colleges and out of state universities will have their own CLEP exam policies. If you have specific colleges/universities you are interested in, please look at those institutions’ websites for more information.
Please Note: If Shasta College awards Credit for Prior Learning coursework and units, they will be used to fulfill your Shasta College graduation requirements. This coursework and associated units will be added to your Shasta College transcript.
If you plan to transfer to another institution, please be aware that every college/university has their own policies about Credit for Prior Learning. What was accepted at Shasta College may not be accepted at another institution.
|CLEP Exam||Passing Score||Equivalent Shasta College Course||Min. Sem. Credits Earned Toward CSU Admssn*||Semester Credits Toward GE Breadth Cert.||CSU GE Area||Removal Date for GE Breadth|
|American Literature||50||ENGL 11A or ENGL 11B||3||3||C2|
|Analyzing and Interpreting Literature||50||N/A||3||3||C2|
|College Algebra – Trigonometry||50||N/A||3||3||B4|
|College Composition||50||ENGL 1A♦♦||0||0||N/A|
|College Composition – Modular||50||N/A||0||0||N/A|
|English Composition (no essay)||50||N/A||0||0||N/A|
|English Composition with essay||50||N/A||0||0||N/A|
|English Literature||50||ENGL 13A or ENGL 13B||3||3||C2||F11**|
|French Level I||50||N/A||6||0||N/A|
|French Level II||59||N/A||9||3||C2|
|Freshman College Composition||50||N/A||0||0||N/A|
|German Level I||50||N/A||6||0||N/A|
|German Level II||60||N/A||9||3||C2|
|History, United States I||50||N/A||3||3||D + US-1|
|History, United States II||50||N/A||3||3||D + US-1|
|Human Growth and Development||50||ECE 1||3||3||E|
|Information Systems and Computer Applications||50||N/A||3||0||N/A|
|Introduction to Educational Psychology||50||N/A||3||0||N/A|
|Introductory Business Law||50||N/A||3||0||N/A|
|Introductory Psychology||50||PSYC 1A||3||3||D|
|Introductory Sociology||50||SOC 1||3||3||D|
|Natural Sciences||50||N/A||3||3||B1 or B2|
|Principles of Accounting||50||N/A||3||0||N/A|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||50||ECON 1B||3||3||D|
|Principles of Management||50||N/A||3||0||N/A|
|Principles of Marketing||50||N/A||3||0||N/A|
|Principles of Microeconomics||50||ECON 1A||3||3||D|
|Social Sciences and History||50||N/A||0||0||N/A|
|Spanish Level I||50||N/A||6||0||N/A|
|Spanish Level II||63||N/A||9||3||C2|
|Western Civilization I||50||N/A||3||3||C2 or D|
|Western Civilization II||50||N/A||3||3||D|
* These units count toward eligibility for admission to CSU. The units may not apply towards Associate Degrees for Transfer (AD-T) or the baccalaureate degree. The units may not all apply toward certification of the corresponding GE-Breadth area. See Executive Orders 1036 and 1100 Revised for details.
** Students seeking certification in GE Breadth prior to transfer must have passed the test before this date.
♦♦ The CLEP-equivalent course at Shasta College course differs from what a CSU system school would award for CSU GE area credit. Check with a counselor for restrictions.
Speak to a counselor for all Credit for Prior Learning options and how they can best meet your academic goals.