Art AA Degree
Associate in Arts | SC Program: AA.1040
This curriculum qualifies the student for the AA degree in Art. Students interested in transferring should check course requirements with counselors or the transfer college.
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Describe and successfully apply the elements and principles of art and design to two-dimensional compositions or three dimensional forms.
- Select appropriate tools and techniques in dealing with a variety of media then demonstrate informed, skilled and sensitive handling in the execution of two-dimensional imagery and three-dimensional forms.
- Investigate, develop and employ conceptual themes which clearly and consistently reflect the student’s point of view.
- Effectively identify and utilize resources for art historical research.
- Articulate his/her (objective and subjective) understanding of two and three dimensional works in writing.
- Orally evaluate the works of fellow students and implement suggestions made through the evaluation of his/her work by others.
- ART 2* History of Western Art Through Gothic Period 3
- ART 3* Western Art, Renaissance to Contemporary 3
- ART 12 Beginning Form, Design and Color 3
- ART 13 Intermediate Form, Design and Color 3
- ART 21A Beginning Freehand Drawing 3
- ART 21B Intermediate Freehand Drawing 3
*May be used to fulfill General Education requirements.
Restricted Electives: (Choose nine units) 9
- ART 15 Three Dimensional Design (3)
- ART 17 Shades, Shadows and Perspectives (3)
- ART 26A Beginning Watercolor (3)
- ART 26B Intermediate Watercolor (3)
- ART 26C Advanced Intermediate Watercolor (3)
- ART 26D Advanced Watercolor (3)
- ART 29A Beginning Painting (3)
- ART 29B Intermediate Painting (3)
- ART 29C Advanced Intermediate Painting (3)
- ART 29D Advanced Painting (3)
- ART 31A Beginning Figure Drawing (3)
- ART 31B Intermediate Figure Drawing (3)
- ART 31C Advanced Intermediate Figure Drawing (3)
- ART 31D Advanced Figure Drawing (3)
- ART 35A Beginning Ceramics (3)
- ART 35B Intermediate Ceramics (3)
- ART 45 Beginning Glass (3)
- ART 46 Glass Blowing (3)
- ART 50A Beginning Printmaking (3)
- ART 50B Intermediate Printmaking (3)
- ART 50C Advanced Printmaking (3)
- ART 55A Beginning Sculpture (3)
- ART 55B Intermediate Sculpture (3)
- ART 55C Advanced Sculpture (3)
- ART 57 Sculptural Glass (3)
- ART 70A Beginning Digital Photography (3)
- ART 70B Intermediate Digital Photography (3)
- ART 70C Advanced Intermediate Digital Photography (3)
- ART 70D Advanced Digital Photography (3)
Associate in Arts Degree Requirements
Additional General Education: 18
General Electives: 15
Degree Total: 60*
*Note: Calculation assumes a student will double-count the Multicultural graduation requirement with either a social science or humanities G.E. requirement and that the student will fulfill computer literacy through a test. If students plan well and see a counselor, they may be able to double count the Multicultural and Computer Literacy units. If these graduation requirements are added, the number of units is increased by 6 units.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
Start Your Future at Shasta College
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!