Packing and Preparing for the US
Here is a suggested packing list, but is by no means-all inclusive. This can be used as a good starting point and some general guidelines:
- Personal identification documents. Includes all visa, passport and immigration information
- Emergency contact information for parents or legal guardians
- Photos of family and friends
- Phone numbers, addresses, and email addresses of parents, family doctors, church members, friends, and other relatives
- All medical records and proof of medical insurance including dental and immunization records
- Extra pair of glasses or necessary prescription medication. And extra copies of your prescriptions. These will probably be cheaper if purchased from your home country
- A healthy body. Get an overall physical examination and dental examination before you leave. Bring a list of all of your allergies
- Basic toiletries such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, shampoo, etc.
- Electronics such as laptops, phone, music players, camera, etc. Be sure that chargers are compatible with US outlets and power plugs.
- Bedding. You can also purchase some upon arrival, but the Shasta College dorms does not provide bedding for students. The dorms have extra long twin sized mattresses.
- Weather suitable clothing. Redding can be quite warm in the summer, with rain the winter.
- Mementos to decorate your room and ethnic and cultural clothing for international celebrations and to remind you of home.