Diesel Technology AS Degree
Associate in Science | SC Program: AS.1175
This curriculum prepares the student for entry into the mechanic trade related to heavy equipment and diesel engines. Award of apprenticeship credit for completion of the program will depend on the employer, local union regulations, aptitude of student, as well as the curriculum completed. The Diesel Technology major requires technical courses to satisfy the minimum requirements for the major. Students are encouraged to take as many technical courses and related electives as their program will permit. When necessary, auto mechanic courses and diesel courses may be interchanged to satisfy major requirements.
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Analyze a scenario based upon an equipment system failure/problem/complaint.
- Employ a systematic approach to troubleshooting a system malfunction and prepare a solution.
- Demonstrate the correct tools/supplies required to diagnose/repair a malfunction.
- Verify if the path of repair was correct by testing and/or completing a work order/report.
- DIES 48 Hydraulics 3.5
- DIES 49 Advanced Hydraulics 3
- DIES 94 Diesel Technology Worksite Learning 1
- DIES 160 Diesel Engine Electronic Control 4
- DIES 161 Diesel Technology Field Training 2
- DIES 162 Heavy Duty Drive Train 4
- DIES 164 Beginning Diesel Engines 4
- DIES 166 Diesel Engines 6
- DIES 169 Advanced Electronics and Emissions Mgmt 3
- DIES 170 Heavy Duty Braking Systems 4
- ENGL 1A* College Composition 4
- INDE 1 Career Planning for Industrial Technology 1
- MATH 110* Essential Math 3
- WELD 70 Beginning Welding 3
*May be used to fulfill General Education requirements. See a counselor.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
Additional General Education: 15
General Electives: 0
Degree Total: 60.5*
*Note: Calculation assumes a student will double-count the Multicultural graduation requirement with either a social science or humanities G.E. requirement and that the student will fulfill computer literacy through a test. If students plan well and see a counselor, they may be able to double count the Multicultural and Computer Literacy units. If these graduation requirements are added, the number of units is increased by 6 units.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!