Welding Technology AS Degree
Associate in Science | SC Program: AS.1490
The Welding Technology Program is designed to prepare students for positions in a variety of trades or service industries requiring technically trained and/or certified welders. The program is designed to prepare students for the opportunity to become certified welders under the standards set by the American Welding Society. Students can receive their certification by the American Welding Society in a variety of processes as part of the instructional program. The program is available in three formats:
- Associate in Science Degree in Welding Technology
- Certificate from Shasta College in Welding Technology
- Certification by the American Welding Society as a certified welder
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate competencies in job safety skills and awareness of workplace hazards.
- Follow written and oral instructions in the interpretation of simple drawings and sketches, including welding symbols and the execution of the fabrication process.
- Set up, maintain, and adjust welding related equipment.
- Acquire skills and knowledge to make a successful transition to an entry-level position in the work force.
- Pass workmanship tests using common welding processes.
- DIES 48 Hydraulics 3.5
- INDE 1 Career Planning for Industrial Technology 1
- MATH 110* Essential Math 3
- WELD 70 Beginning Welding 3
- WELD 73 Structural Steel Metal Fabrication 3
- WELD 118 Blueprint/Specification Reading (Mechanical) 2
- WELD 170 Introduction to ARC Welding 3
- WELD 171 Intermediate ARC Welding 3
- WELD 174 Structural Steel MIG Welding 3
- WELD 175 TIG Welding 3
- WELD 178 Pipe Welding Fundamentals 3
- WELD 182 Advanced ARC Welding 1.5
- WELD 183 Advanced ARC Welding Specialty Lab 1.5
- WELD 184 Advanced GTAW (TIG) Welding 1.5
- WELD 186 Advanced Pipe Welding 2
- WELD 188 Advanced GMAW (MIG) Welding 1.5
*May be used to fulfill General Education requirements. See a counselor.
Associate in Science Degree Requirements
Additional General Education: 18
General Electives: 3.5
Degree Total: 60*
*Note: Calculation assumes a student will double-count the Multicultural graduation requirement with either a social science or humanities G.E. requirement and that the student will fulfill computer literacy through a test. If students plan well and see a counselor, they may be able to double count the Multicultural and Computer Literacy units. If these graduation requirements are added, the number of units is increased by 6 units.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
Start Your Future at Shasta College
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!