Agriculture: Plant Science AS-T Degree
Associate in Science for Transfer | SC Program: AS-T.2002
The AS-T in Agriculture-Plant Science is designed to prepare students for transfer to a Bachelor’s degree program in Plant Science, Horticulture or related major at a CSU campus. A Bachelor’s degree in Plant Science prepares students for a career as a plant scientist, agriculture teacher, biotechnologist, agronomist or crop scientist, turf manager, farm manager, weed scientist, entomologist, nursery manager, garden specialist, researcher, or landscape manager. In order to earn this degree, a student must complete 60 required semester units of CSU-transferable coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.0. Completing this degree guarantees admission to the CSU system but not to a particular campus or major. The degree is designed to prepare students for upper division study in Agricultural Plant Science and related fields.
This degree is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of all degree requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this degree, the student should be able to:
- Identify and apply communication skills when interacting with all people. Demonstrate the ability to communicate with clients, and assess landscape or nursery for ecological and economic sustainability.
- Demonstrate the ability to test and evaluate soils, make recommendations for soil fertility, erosion control and irrigation management.
- Explain and apply basic principles of botany to horticulture practices, plant growth, development and harvest.
- Meet the requirements for transfer to a California State University with a major in Plant Science or Horticulture.
In addition to the 37-39 unit general education pattern for CSU or IGETC, students must complete the core courses listed below for the Associate in Science in Agriculture Plant Science for Transfer Degree. Students must also obtain a minimum grade point average of 2.0 and a C or better in each major course, or a “P" if the course is taken on a Pass/No Pass basis.
- AGAB 54* Agriculture Economics 3
- AGPS 20*# Plant Science 4
- AGPS 24* Soils 3
- CHEM 1A*# General Chemistry (5) OR CHEM 2A*# Introduction to Chemistry (5)
- MATH 14*# Introduction to Statistics 4
List A (Select one option): 3-4
- AGEH 10 Plant Identification and Usage (3) OR
- AGEH 22 Nursery Practices and Plant Propagation (2) AND
- AGEH 23 Nursery Practices and Management (2)
List B (Select two courses): 6-8
- Any List A course not used above
- AGEH 38 Landscape and Turf Management (3)
- AGMA 42 Farm Power and Machinery (3)
- CHEM 2B*# Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry (5)
*May be used to fulfill CSU General Education requirements. See a counselor.
#May be used to fulfill IGETC requirements. See a counselor.
Associate in Science in Agriculture Plant Science for Transfer Degree Requirements:
General Education: 37-39
General Electives: 2-5**
Degree Total Will Not Exceed: 60 Units
**Number will vary depending on units that double count.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!