Firefighter II Certificate
The Firefighter 2 certification entails advanced knowledge, skills and abilities gained only after the completion of the Firefighter 1 Academy and the required employment interval with an organized volunteer or paid fire department in the state of California. These advanced skills, knowledge and abilities are presented during the Firefighter 2 academy at Shasta College. The successful completion of this Firefighter 2 academy allows the student to operate at a “journeyman level” as a firefighter.
Note: No college in California certifies individuals as Firefighter 1, or Firefighter 2. All certifications are issued by the California State Fire Marshal. This certificate is approved through the California Community College Chancellor’s Office. Upon satisfactory completion of the listed requirements and filing an application for graduation with Admissions and Records, the student’s transcript will reflect completion of this certificate.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
Upon successful completion of this certificate, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge, skills and abilities to safely perform the tasks required to become an advanced firefighter.
- FIRS 104 Firefighter I Academy 21
- FIRS 108 Firefighter II Academy 5
TOTAL UNITS FOR CERTIFICATE: 26
Students wishing to apply for California State Fire Marshal’s Office Firefighter I or II certification must meet the following criteria:
- Complete the required coursework as outlined by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
- Work a minimum of either six months as a paid full-time firefighter or 12 months as a volunteer.
- A recommendation and signature on appropriate form from the Fire Chief of the department that a student works for or volunteers at is a mandatory requirement.
Note: No college in California certifies individuals as Firefighter 1 or Firefighter 2. All certifications are approved by the California State Fire Marshal’s Office.
For reference only as of 2019/2020
We are dedicated to helping you reach your educational and career goals. To begin your journey, apply for admissions today!